In the 2014 Mexican dramedy, Four Moons, directed by Sergio Tovar Velarde, four storylines are tied to the four lunar phases, representing four separate stages in life; although this connection is only mentioned during the opening credits. It was considered for Mexico’s entry as Best Foreign Language Film at the 88th Academy Awards, but 600 Miles was chosen instead. Four Moons is a stunningly candid portrait of gay men and boys in modern day Mexico. It tells its stories in a similar manner to the 2003 film Love Actually, as the story jumps from plot line to plot line. The stories are played out in interwoven sections occurring during the same period of time but never together as a single story arc.

The New Moon phase of the lunar cycle is symbolized through the story of a primary school boy named Mauricio. He has recently become aware of his feelings for a male schoolmate, who is also his cousin. As he struggles with his feelings, he turns to the confessional in his church, where he tells the priest that he is homosexual, and receives less than accepting feedback from behind the lattice. He battles his emotions and feelings, but in the end he pushes his boundaries with his cousin, resulting in wounds to his ego and face. Mauricio’s father initially blames his wife for the sexuality of their son, because she allows him to do household (therefore feminine) chores. Mauricio’s mother is supportive of her child, but his father struggles with the cultural and religious shame he feels.

A second storyline that is introduced represents the waxing lunar phase, when the light on the moon begins to increase. Fito and Leo were childhood acquaintances, and they run into each other again at college. They start hanging out together after class with a group of other male friends. One night after partying, Leo spends the night at Fito’s house. While settling into bed, they share a sweet, intimate exchange which leads to their asking each other about their sexuality. They decide neither one of them is gay; however, their relationship quickly becomes sexual. As they continue to develop their relationship Leo tells Fito that he doesn’t want anyone to know they are a couple. At first Fito understands and does his best to keep their relationship hidden, but after a conversation with his mother he realizes he deserves more than being someone’s dirty little secret. He decides that if he cannot be openly out with Leo, then he will search for someone he can be himself with. It doesn’t take long for Leo to accept that living alone and in the closet isn’t a life he wants to live.

Hugo and Andrés live together and have been a relationship for 10 years. Their relationship signifies the Full Moon – when the light of the sun fully reflects off the face of the moon. They are very comfortable with their sexuality, and do not need to hide it from their friends. Their relationship is severely tested when Hugo starts to fall for another man - Sebastian. In an attempt to heal their relationship, Andrés asks Hugo to give him two weeks to win him back; with the understanding that Hugo will cut off all contact with Sebastian during this time. Hugo agrees, but struggles with this compromise. Through all the effort Andrés puts into saving their relationship his hopes are repeatedly shattered. In the end, he must make the decision to continue in pain with an uncommitted partner, or move on to ensure his future happiness.

The last phase of the lunar cycle is the waning moon, as the light on the moon begins to decrease. This phase of the lunar cycle is told through the story of Joaquin, an older man, who is a professor. His story begins with a look into his daily routine with his wife. He spends his days regretting something that is never specified, yet is always present. During his story arc, he becomes fascinated with a young steam room patron named Gilberto. He propositions Gilberto for sex, and eventually takes money from his family’s Christmas savings in an attempt to pay for sexual favors from him.

This film is captivating and revealing, with a keen focus on the complexities of love and acceptance throughout. It intricately demonstrates how pain and isolation can impact perceptions of others and those you love.