A transgender woman shot and killed in January is the first known trans homicide victim of the new year, activists report. 2015 marked the record high for homicides of transgender women of color with 22 victims, although this total does not account for individuals whose deaths were not reported or investigated, nor for victims who were misgendered or not regarded as trans women in death. Of those 22 victims, 19 were trans women of color. The Austin Chronicle reports that Monica Loera is the first to be killed in 2016. Loera was shot in the doorway of her home in Austin, TX on January 22nd.

The news of her death did not reach the wider community because of the police report and local media. Both misgendered her and used an outdated and inaccurate name and photograph.

Loera was pronounced dead at the hospital shortly after the shooting. Less than a week later, police arrested JonCasey Rockwell, who is being held on bond. The police report states that Loera’s roommate heard Rockwell repeatedly knock at the door until Loera decided to answer to ask him to leave. More details about the connection between Rockwell and Loera as well as what prompted Rockwell to shoot her are still being investigated by police.

Many friends are speaking out in the remembrance of Loera. Jon Sanchez, a longtime friend who met her through the queer community in Austin, describes her death as losing a family member. “I always felt safe with her,” Sanchez said. “She always took care of us.”

Many of Loera’s friends felt the same way. Previouly, each had been trapped in a cycle of prostitution as a means to buy drugs. This story isn’t uncommon. Half of the investigations done in 2015 of the trans homicides revealed that about half of the victims were involved in prostitution. The stigma against sex work as well as the social bias concerning gender identity and race is what many activists believe fuel these crimes. Mara Keisling, an advocate working for the National Center for Transgender Equality, states that, ““These are all characteristics of people in the United States who are more susceptible to violence, of people who are more marginalized economically and educationally, people who end up having a bullseye on their back.”

“Right now we’re experiencing a Dickensian time, where it’s the best of times and it’s the worst of times at once,” says transgender rights advocate Masen Davis, who formerly ran the Transgender Law Center. “We’re seeing a marked increase in the public awareness about transgender people and really incredible progress for trans rights, especially from a legal perspective. At the same time, we still represent and are part of a community that experiences incredibly high rates of unemployment, poverty and violence.”

With Loera’s tragic passing marking the first of its kind in the new year, many are fearful of what’s to come. Because the previous year before was so painful, advocates across the nation are standing up and calling for action. By bringing this issue to light and rallying for protection, there is hope that women like Loera will not have died in vain.