Gov. Mike Pence is in the news again after saying that he will not support adding state civil rights protections based on sexual orientation or gender identity if he believes that it might reduce religious freedoms.

Pence’s prepared remarks for his State of the State speech specified religious freedom in worship, service or work are constitutional rights that are “too precious.” His remarks reflect his conservative views and religious beliefs, which he has been open about since his election. Pence urged lawmakers to be mindful of religious freedom protections written in the state’s Constitution, alluding to the events in the legislature.

Bills are still pending in the legislature to extend LGBTQ protections, and Pence has avoided taking on a position with the issue. His speech did not include whether or not those bills would violate religious freedoms. Pence stated that Indiana is already a “welcoming state that respects everyone” and that he believes “no one should be harassed or mistreated because of who they are, who they love, or what they believe.”.He also added that, “no one should ever fear persecution because of their deeply held religious beliefs.”

Pence is still receiving backlash from last spring over Indiana’s religious freedoms law that many across the nation viewed as discriminatory.

Even before giving his speech, his Democrat opponent was on the attack. John Gregg’s campaign has called Pence a “national embarrassment” for Indiana and has called out Pence’s avoidance of taking a direct stance on the protections of LGBTQ citizens.

Pence’s speech could have been an important turning point for his turbulent year. His focus on the job market and education still takes a backseat to the civil rights protections. Many call the “fix” to the religious freedom law not good enough, and that it still does not protect against discrimination. The pending bills for the inclusion of LGBTQ were on everyone’s minds during the State of the State, but Pence’s lack of definitive stance created more controversy. Pence hoped to regain support from his religious constituents, political analysts say. “He has chosen his side – the religious extremist. He stands with the people who really do not believe that gay and lesbian Hoosiers should be entitled to equal rights. And he is certainly entitled to do that, but I think politically it was suicide,” said Sheila Suess Kennedy, a professor at Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis and former director of the Indiana Civil Liberties Union. Robert Dion, a professor at the University of Evansville said, “He didn’t give any sort of indication he’s eager to sign a civil rights bill and that means it’s back to the legislature, and we’ll see what they do. Boy, when a governor sends a signal he’s not favorably disposed to changing the law, it doesn’t seem to suggest that the Republican supermajority is going to go through a lot of exertion to pass a bill with an uncertain future.”

Pence’s staff reports that Pence has been listening to every side of the debate for months. Conservatives, the business community, LGBTQ advocates, and voices from across the nation have called on Pence to take action. Pence has to decide to completely protect the rights of the LGBTQ community or defend religious rights- or try to form a balance from both sides.