5 things to do in Muncie in the winter

<p>The National Model Aviation Museum allows visitors to explore a collection of model airplanes. Tuhey Pool, Tonne Winery, Made in Muncie Pottery and Muncie Civic Theatre are just a few other places to go around Muncie. Breanna Daugherty, DN File</p>

The National Model Aviation Museum allows visitors to explore a collection of model airplanes. Tuhey Pool, Tonne Winery, Made in Muncie Pottery and Muncie Civic Theatre are just a few other places to go around Muncie. Breanna Daugherty, DN File

The Muncie community is full of places and events for people with a wide variety of interests. If you find yourself in Muncie with nothing to do, here is a list of a few things that may interest you: 

Made in Muncie Pottery

Where: 313 S. Walnut St.

Hours: 1-8 p.m. from Wednesday to Friday and Sunday and 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Saturday
Cost: Prices vary based on the activity

Made in Muncie Pottery is a place to create in downtown Muncie. Those wishing to paint pottery can simply show up and choose from a selection. Visitors can walk in, choose a piece of pottery and start painting. After the pottery has been painted, Made in Muncie Pottery will fire the work in a kiln after applying a clear glaze. Private lessons, workshops and camps for kids are also hosted by Made in Muncie Pottery and parties can be booked in the shop. 

Escape Muncie

Where: 300 N. Pauline Ave. 

Hours: Groups wishing to participate can book an escape room from 3 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. through Escape Muncie’s website

Cost: $25 per player

At Escape Muncie, groups of participants can choose from a variety of different rooms, including Escape Muncie Theatre and Escape Muncie Mansion, to solve puzzles and riddles in. Each team has an hour to find clues that will lead to their escape. A portion of the proceeds made by Escape Muncie are also given to Journey Home Jamaica, a non-profit organization that purchases property in Jamaica to create orphanages or outreach centers. 

Muncie Civic Theatre

Where: 216 E. Main St. 

Hours: Dependent on the production or audition
Cost: Prices vary when attending productions 

The Muncie Civic Theatre is located in a historic building in downtown Muncie. Founded in 1931, the theater offers opportunities for the community to explore many different sides of a production. Auditions for shows are open to the community, and there are also programs for children, adults and community members with disabilities. To audition for a show or simply purchase tickets to view one, visit Muncie Civic's website.

Tonne Winery

Where: 101 West Royerton Rd. 

Hours: Open Monday through Saturday from 10 a.m to 6 p.m. and Sunday from 12-5 p.m.

Cost: Prices vary based on purchases and events 

Tonne Winery offers 16 wines for purchase and tasting. When at the winery, visitors can also purchase wine accessories and view an art gallery that includes  work from local artists. The winery also hosts events such as Wine & Music and WINOS - Women in Need of Shopping, and is available for hosting private events.

National Model Aviation Museum 

Where: 5151 E. Memorial Dr.

Hours: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday to Saturday
Cost: General admission for adults 18 and older is $5. For visitors ages 7-17, admission costs $2.50 and anyone younger along with AMA Members and Museum Patrons get in free. 

The National Model Aviation Museum allows visitors to explore a collection of model airplanes. There are several different exhibits including hands-on galleries, simulators, computer games and wind tunnels as well as a 1950s era model shop. Typically visitors can experience the museum at their own pace, but there are also guided tours and build sessions.

Contact Brooke Kemp with comments at bmkemp@bsu.edu or on Twitter @brookemkemp