Muncie and CAP students partner for design project

College of Architecture and Planning students organized and created six installations around campus on Sept. 15 to bring awareness to multiple social issues. 

Local high school students will work with Ball State faculty and students from the College of Architecture and Planning (CAP) on Nov. 18, said Lori Pence, CAP senior manager of student support services.

CAP partnered with Project Lead the Way (PTLW), a nonprofit that helps K-12 students gain hands-on experience, for the first time. 

“CAP has many students that have gone through the PTLW curriculum,” Pence said. “The skill set that they gained there is skill sets we want in our program.”

CAP and PTLW will host the workshop “Interactive City” in downtown Indianapolis at the CAP: INDY Connector.

“It introduces students to a variety of STEM skills and courses. One of those courses is an architecture course,” said David Ferguson, associate dean of CAP. “What we are adding tomorrow is a new component."

High school students involved with PTLW can work with Ball State faculty, alumni and students on the project.

“We are inviting students to come down to our satellite campus,” Ferguson said. “They will work with us on a design charrette — a short-term design project that is team-based. They will be placed in teams working with faculty and professionals.” 

The project with CAP will teach students about foundational concepts and the build process, said Justin Ferguson, director of the CAP Indy Center. 

Focused in improving an alley, Justin Ferguson said the project will help make the city more “vibrant.”

It will include public art installations that will be placed around the City Market Plaza area that citizens can interact with.

The final project is set to be built and finished at the City Market in Indianapolis this spring. 

Contact Liz Rieth with comments at ejrieth@bsu.edu or on Twitter at @liz_rieth.