Cornerstone to host SAMA Fest

<p>The South Asian Muncie Association will host their seventh SAMA Fest at 5 p.m. on Nov. 11 at Cornerstone Center for the Arts in downtown Muncie. SAMA Fest is to promote the cultural activities of South Asia and to foster cultural exchange. Cornerstone, Photo Provided</p>

The South Asian Muncie Association will host their seventh SAMA Fest at 5 p.m. on Nov. 11 at Cornerstone Center for the Arts in downtown Muncie. SAMA Fest is to promote the cultural activities of South Asia and to foster cultural exchange. Cornerstone, Photo Provided

Tickets are available online or at the Cornerstone information desk and can be purchased until Friday.

The South Asian Muncie Association will host their seventh SAMA Fest at 5 p.m. on Nov. 11 at Cornerstone Center for the Arts in downtown Muncie. 

“The purpose and objective of SAMA Fest is to promote the cultural activities of South Asia,” said Sushma Sharma, president of SAMA 2017. “It is also to foster cultural exchange between the people of South Asian origin and the community of Muncie.”

Twenty years ago, Muncie families with South Asian backgrounds gathered together to create a comfortable environment where they could be with others who shared their heritage. Eventually, their meetings became regular and SAMA was born.

Today, SAMA has over 60 families and continues to grow each year. 

“SAMA formed because a few families came together with the thought to create a 'home away from home,'" Sharma said. “We get to celebrate our heritage with festivals and events, but we have also blended very well with the local Muncie community. To honor that inclusion, we invite the community to many of our events.”

SAMA Fest showcases traditional cuisine from India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, and Afghanistan which guests can sample throughout the night. There will also be traditional dance performances and a traditional fashion show. 

More than 200 people have already registered for the event, and both Cornerstone and SAMA hope that number continues to grow. 

“Anytime a community can come together and celebrate, there will be a positive impact on the community,” said Jeff Robinson, the director of community relations at Cornerstone. “Both the South Asian Muncie Association and Cornerstone hope that the people will come out and learn about a culture different than their own.”

Tickets are available at cornerstonearts.org or at the Cornerstone information desk and can be purchased until tomorrow. 

Contact Tier Morrow with comments at tkmorrow@bsu.edu.