Police chase ends in arrest

Photo Provided, Delaware County Sheriff's Office

Around 10 p.m. Sunday, a deputy with the Delaware County Sheriff’s Department initiated a traffic stop in the area of Centennial Avenue and Martin Luther King Drive after a vehicle failed to dim its bright lights. 

The vehicle, driven by Dequan Jones, 22, Muncie, initially pulled into the Marathon Gas station in the 1700 block of N. Martin Luther King Drive and came to a complete stop. When the deputy started to put the car in park and exit his patrol car, the vehicle sped off. 

Jones fled from the gas station, leading deputies on a pursuit west on West Centennial Avenue, north on Granville Avenue, behind Dick’s Sporting Goods, and crashing into a fence in the 3800 block of N. Harvard and fled on foot. 

Deputies eventually caught up to him in the 1700 block of E. Yale Ave. and were able to take him into custody. 

The passenger of the vehicle also fled from deputies and at the time of Jones’ arrest, was unable to be located by deputies.  

Jones was arrested and preliminarily charged with resisting law enforcement in a vehicle, resisting law enforcement, run from an officer and leaving an accident scene/property other than a vehicle and is being held on a $10,000 bond. 

Contact Andrew Smith with comments at ajsmith15@bsu.edu or on Twitter at @AndrewSmithNews.