Spectrum hosts Proud Month 2017

<p>Throughout the month of October, Spectrum will host seven events. Six of the seven will be hosted in the Student Center. <strong>Spectrum Twitter, Photo Courtesy&nbsp;</strong></p>

Throughout the month of October, Spectrum will host seven events. Six of the seven will be hosted in the Student Center. Spectrum Twitter, Photo Courtesy 

Beginning Thursday, Spectrum will host their month of events.

The events, Spectrum president Brooklyn Arizmendi said, are to celebrate LGBTQ history. 

Movie Night, "Paris Is Burning"

• 8-10 p.m., Thursday, L.A. Pittenger Student Center Multipurpose Room
  • "Where a lot of our queer history and culture comes from is the drag community," Arizmendi said. "Which, inherently, is affected by the transgender community and everything else. A lot of our language and stuff come from that."

National Coming Out Day 

• 6-7:30 p.m., October 11, Student Center lawn 
  • "So we're taking this rainbow door ... and basically our members get to kind of share their story and come out through the door," Arizmendi said. "And once they share their story, if they want to, they can sign their name on the door as coming out."

Reading Rainbow 

• 8-10 p.m., Oct. 12, Student Center 310 
  • "We're reading children's books that talk about the LGBT community. So there's several books now ... that recognize that we exist for children," Arizmendi said. "It offers up talk about the representation we have in media and to children."

HIV Testing 

• 2-5 p.m., Oct. 17, Student Center Multipurpose Room
  • "That's something we try to do more for our members so they can have a safe, confidential space where they can go get tested," Arizmendi said. 

Halloween Party

• 8-10 p.m., Oct. 19, Student Center Forum Room 
  • Arizmendi said this is a social event and will be held in place of Spectrum's weekly meeting and family dinner. There will be food and drag trivia at the party. 

Stonewall 

• 8-10 p.m., Oct. 26, Student Center 310 
  • "We want our members to be educated on how overtime the attitude has changed about us and who we are and even though the world isn't perfect yet to be any sort of queer, it definitely started there," Arizmendi said.

Dragmageddon 

• 7-9:30 p.m., Oct. 29, Ball Gymnasium
  • There will be guest and student performers and all proceeds from the event will go to Muncie OUTreach. There will also be free HIV testing. 

During its month of events, Spectrum will continue to hold their weekly meetings and family dinners.