10 tips for sick students

Kaiti Sullivan, DN
Kaiti Sullivan, DN

Here are some tips to combat the cold and flu season and make Ball State's campus a healthier place. 

1. Stay in your dorm as much as possible 

While praise is in order for trying to tough it out, no one on campus wants your germs. Once it starts on campus, it slowly spreads around to everyone. Help out other students  by staying home as much as you can. If you have a skip day in a class, this would be the time to take advantage of it. 

2. Call a doctor

Thanks to being on a college campus, there are lots of resources available if you need to see a doctor. The Amelia T. Wood Health Center is always a great option, but there are also off-campus options too. 

Nearby options such as the MedExpress walk-in clinic on 1313 West McGalliard Road can offer quick help when you are sick.

3. Drink plenty of fluids

This is a common saying, but for good reason. Staying hydrated while sick lets you reap a variety of benefits including nausea or vomiting control, reduction of fever, clearing of mucus secretions and simply keeping your body functioning. 

"I always get this Naked juice called the Blue Machine. It's really good, it has blueberries in it, and has a bunch of antioxidants that help you heal," sophomore Annelise Hanshaw said. 

4. Contact your professors ASAP

Many teachers can seem a bit harsh when it comes to attendance, but you would be surprised how understanding they can be if you just talk to them. Many of them won’t count anything against you and don’t want you to come to class because they don’t want your illness either. 

"I email all of my teachers and tell them I can't make it into class. I also mention that I'm willing to do makeup work or whatever so my grade isn't affected. It usually works out well," sophomore Abby Perry said.

5. Get some sleep

If you’ve ever needed a valid excuse to sleep all day, every day, this is your time. When you’re sick, your immune system puts all of its energy into fighting off bacteria. This is why you feel so sluggish and disgusting. It’s a sign your body needs as much rest as possible. The more you sleep, the quicker you get better. Nap on. 

6. If stomach related, stick to the B.R.A.T. diet 

The B.R.A.T. diet stands for bananas, rice, apples and toast. There are some variations you can put into the mix including a small amount of oatmeal, chicken broth and applesauce. All of these foods are light on your stomach so you’re not throwing it all right back up and also have good vitamins and nutrients your body has recently thrown out. 

7. Let people close to you know you're sick 

It’s very important to let people know that you’re sick. Also, having a “sick buddy” or someone willing to lend a helping hand can make all the difference when you can’t leave the bathroom and have a 103-degree fever. Just make sure someone close to you can stop by and check on you every once in awhile. 

8. Try not to touch everything around you 

When you touch something, your germs touch it too. This is how your roommate gets sick with you. If possible, have them grab everything that you need for you. Also, make sure your wiping the room down with some antibacterial wipes so that as soon as the germs are gone, they stay gone. 

Take a step back from your significant other

Kissing your partner while either one of you is sick can start a vicious cycle of trading the sickness back and forth, which isn’t good for you or anyone else on campus. Just wait it out a few days until you're feeling better.

Call your parent or guardian

When people get sick for the first time on campus, they usually miss the person who took care of them as a child. Don't feel bad about giving them a call, just because you're an “adult” doesn’t mean a little love, affection and home remedies won’t help.

Contact Justice Amick with comments at jramick@bsu.edu.