"Pride of Mid-America" Marching Band hosts Band Day

<p>Ball State band member looks at the video board during the game against the University of Illinois on Sept. 2, 2017. The Ball State band is playing with the "Pride of Mid-America" Marching Band on Sept. 9 at Schuemann Stadium for Band Day. &nbsp;Robby General, DN File</p>

Ball State band member looks at the video board during the game against the University of Illinois on Sept. 2, 2017. The Ball State band is playing with the "Pride of Mid-America" Marching Band on Sept. 9 at Schuemann Stadium for Band Day.  Robby General, DN File

Ball State’s “Pride of Mid-America” Marching Band, the world-renowned Canadian Brass quintet and 13 high school marching bands will perform together for Band Day this Saturday.

The bands will perform at halftime of Ball State’s home-opening football game in Scheumann Stadium.

Band Day gives high school students the opportunity to participate in leadership sessions, rehearse and play beside college musicians.  

“It’s a really fun experience,” senior Lauren Hall said.  “You get to see all the different skill levels that might be coming to Ball State which is awesome.”  

Austin Hamang, Ball State alumnus and band director for White River Valley High School, said he is excited to participate because Band Day offers a great educational experience for high school students.

“They get to experience the hype of a football game and the value of working as a team,” Hamang said.

This year’s bands will perform beside Canadian Brass, a brass quintet that has performed in Carnegie Hall and made appearances on the Tonight Show and Sesame Street.  

“I like what Ball State is doing bringing in Frank Troyka and the Canadian Brass,” said Hamang.  “It allows them [high schoolers] to see music-making at a higher level.” 

The “Pride of Mid-America” Marching Band and high school students will also play the Patriotic Medley during their football game performance in celebration of Military Appreciation Day.