In good company

Different personalities draw energy from either people or alone time, sometimes creating complications in their personal lives.

One Thursday evening, Jessica DeBella’s girlfriend, who is rather extroverted, invited her to go to a wedding the following Saturday. Jessica agreed, saying that it could be fun. However, the next day, she ran into an old friend that she had not seen in years. She spent the day with the friend, not wanting to pass up the opportunity. Once Saturday came, Jessica no longer felt like going to the wedding. Spending the previous day with her friend had drained her of her social energy for the time being, leaving her in a terrible mood for that evening.

Jessica wanted to have fun and loved all of the people who would be at the wedding, but could not bring herself to enjoy the moment, no matter how badly she wanted to.

Jessica can be very introverted at times, requiring days between social activities to become energized once again. This can be a very difficult struggle for her when it comes to spending time with friends and family on a regular basis.

The spoon theory attempts to explain this issue. In this anecdote, a woman with Lupus uses spoons to explain to her friend that she only has so much energy in a day. She was given a bundle of spoons, and doing an action that seemed simple would relieve her of one of those spoons. Soon, she was out of spoons and had no more energy to spend.

Introverts typically find that speaking to people takes away several of their spoons.  

Most individuals can be placed in one of two very different categories based on their social interactions: introverts and extroverts. Oftentimes, people think introversion equals being shy, while extroversion means a person is outgoing. However, these words are not synonymous. While shyness can certainly be a trait of an introvert, and the same for outgoingness of an extrovert, they are not the defining characteristics.

To continue reading, visit ballbearingsmag.com.