Fencing club thrusts into new year

<p>Ball State Fencing Club Facebook, Photo Courtesy</p>

Ball State Fencing Club Facebook, Photo Courtesy

Most students join an intramural sport or hit the gym a few days a week to stay active on campus, but Ball State clubs, like the Fencing Club, offer students the chance to get their heart pumping in a unique way. 

“One of my favorite parts about fencing is the fact that I’ve never really felt like anyone had an unearned advantage over anyone else,” Bradley Keith, sophomore and armorer for the Fencing Club, said. “I don’t think you see the same level of equality in many other sports. 

“You don’t have to be the most athletic, the fastest, the smartest, the largest, the smallest or the most coordinated to be an excellent fencer. Everybody has their own strengths and weaknesses, their own advantages and disadvantages, and all you have to do is find a way to match your strengths to your opponent’s weaknesses.” 

Senior Kaitlyn Sims, president of the Fencing Club, said she enjoys the uniqueness of the club as well as the people of varying interests that she gets to interact with. 

“It’s not necessarily what people would imagine when they hear of athletic clubs,” Sims said. “We have the really athletic people, and we also have people who’ve never been in a sport.” 

This is the 42nd year for the Fencing Club, and its numbers have reached an all-time high. A typical practice for the nearly 80 students involved runs from 9-11 p.m. in Room 141 of the Jo Anne Gora Recreation Center and begins with warm-ups and stretches before going on to the lesson for the day. 

“We do it piece by piece,” Sims said. “We started with footwork and then on how to handle the 'weapon,' and then just more advanced tactics and ways to fence. For the last hour of class, we open it up to everyone, and then it’s free fencing for all the veteran members and all the new members who wish to stay.” 

The first six weeks of the semester are dedicated to a free introduction class, and after that, participation costs $25 a semester. The cost of the club is to help maintain equipment, such as the foils, lames, uniforms and score boxes. 

As armorer for the Fencing Club, Keith maintains the club’s equipment and keeps track of the inventory. 

“We have electronic scoring equipment that frequently breaks down, so I have to spend time diagnosing and repairing the problems that come up,” Keith said. “Even the non-electrical equipment takes a beating and needs certain parts replaced. I test the protective equipment periodically to make sure that it meets the national safety standards and remove it from use if it fails.”

In addition to practices every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, several members of the Fencing Club also participate in competitions around Indiana as well as out of state. There are typically two competitions a month active competitors in the Fencing Club travel to.

Sophomore Ren Rainey is the Fencing Club’s secretary, and one of their roles includes maintaining the Fencing Club’s social media by keeping the public updated with when competitions are and what the results are. 

“We're all about improving our skills, and many of us enjoy traveling to competitions throughout the year,” Rainey said. “But the real reason I decided to stick with the sport and invest in my own equipment is because I love spending time with the other club members.” 

The Fencing Club welcomes students throughout the semester, even after introductory classes. Its members are always happy to see new people to support them in getting them interested in the sport. 

“It is difficult to enjoy one's self when there is no support or positivity in their environment, and, at fencing, we all support each other as much as possible,” Sam Monaco, senior and vice president of the Fencing Club, said. “We don't judge your level of fitness or aptitude for the sport. All we care about is that you show up and have fun.”