'Crooked' tackles mental health, features female cast

<p>Crooked open Sept. 26 in the Cave Theatre. Ball State Department of Theatre and Dance, Photo Provided</p>

Crooked open Sept. 26 in the Cave Theatre. Ball State Department of Theatre and Dance, Photo Provided

"Crooked" show dates:

• 7:30 p.m. Sept. 26 - 30 
  • 2:30 p.m. Sept. 30 and Oct. 1 

The student-run Cave Theatre is starting its season Sept. 26 with "Crooked," a play that discusses mental health.

Each character in "Crooked" is forced to face problems they have been trying to ignore, especially the main character, Laney Walters. The 14-year-old moves to Mississippi with her mother and has to sort through the conflicting viewpoints of other characters while trying to discover who she is. 

Walters also struggles with mental illness and dystonia, which causes muscles to contract uncontrollably and her back to be crooked. 

"It is really cool to be a female performer [talking] about other things, not just men all the time," said Gwyn Burton, the actress portraying Laney Walters.

"Crooked" was written to have an entirely female cast. The crew for this production only has three males involved: the assistant director, sound designer and production supervisor.

This will be senior Melissa Baldwin's first time directing a show on her own, which has been both exciting and challenging.

"I was a lot more scared going in than I was after the first rehearsal," Baldwin said.

While balancing classes and directing, Baldwin said having a routine and a supportive cast has been the key to success.

"I just happened to get an amazing cast who was just really willing and accepting," Baldwin said. "I can just throw whatever I want at them and they would just take it and add to it."

The cast has been rehearsing since Aug. 20, and Burton is looking forward to sharing "something different" with the audience.