Ball State's fall speaker lineup announced

Feminist, writer and activist Dr. Angela Davis will speak at the ninth annual Diversity Research Symposium (DRS): Creating Brave Spaces for Inclusion, Equity, and Justice at 7 p.m. on Sept. 22 in Emens Auditorium. Ball State will be hosting three other speakers this Fall. Ball State Photo Courtesy

Feminist, writer and activist Angela Davis will speak at the ninth annual Diversity Research Symposium: Creating Brave Spaces for Inclusion, Equity and Justice at 7 p.m. on Sept. 22 in John R. Emens Auditorium. 

Davis’ talk will kick off the relaunch of the African American studies minor program at Ball State and will open conversation about “Institutional Racism in the Penal & Criminal Justice System.”

In addition to her activist background, Davis is a distinguished professor in the Departments of History and Consciousness and Feminist Studies at the University of California, Santa Cruz. She authored nine books including “Are Prisons Obsolete?” and “Women, Race & Class.” 

She is a member of Sisters Inside, a women’s rights group based in Queensland, Australia, and the founder of Critical Resistance — an organization whose mission is to eliminate prisons by challenging the narrative that prisons keep society safe. 

Following her talk, Davis will host a 20-minute Q&A and a book signing from 8:15 to 8:45 p.m. 

Along with Davis’ events, the DRS will host workshops, presentations and both facilitated and panel discussions. 

Participants need to register and arrive by 7:30 a.m. Sept. 22 in the L.A. Pittenger Student Center on the second floor outside of Cardinal Hall.  

Ball State will host three more speakers this fall, including:

Julissa Arce, activist and author of "My Underground American Dream," who will present “The American DREAMer: From Undocumented to Wall Street and Immigration Advocacy" at 7:30 p.m. Oct. 2 in Pruis Hall. 

Writer and historian Abby Smith Rumsey, who will speak about “How Digital Memory is Shaping Our Future” at 7:30 p.m. Oct. 4, in Pruis Hall. Smith Rumsey will sign copies of her book “When We Are No More” after the presentation. 

Founder of “because i said, i would,” Alex Sheen, will present “The Life of a Promise” at 7:30 p.m. Oct. 30, in Pruis Hall.