Muncie receives grant to support an artists in residence program

<p>The National Endowment for the Arts has recently announced it has approved the city of Muncie for a $50,000 grant that will support an artist in residence program. Reagan Allen // DN FILE PHOTO</p>

The National Endowment for the Arts has recently announced it has approved the city of Muncie for a $50,000 grant that will support an artist in residence program. Reagan Allen // DN FILE PHOTO

The two-year project is expected to begin in August.

The National Endowment for the Arts has recently announced it has approved the city of Muncie for a $50,000 grant that will support an artist in residence program.

The grant will support the city partnering with the Muncie Arts and Culture Council to provide visiting artists with a temporary residence and gallery exhibition space, as well as facilitate access to studio space and fabrication equipment, according to a news release.

“We appreciate this partnership with the City of Muncie that recognizes the value of visiting artists in enhancing the local arts culture," said Muncie Arts and Culture Council President Betty Brewer in the release. "We also value our collaboration with Sustainable Muncie and the Ball State University School of Art.”

The grant will provide visiting artists with studio spaces and a gallery exhibition area. Artists will also be able to pair with local organizations to collaborate on public artwork or projects that address a community issue. 

The Marilyn K. Glick Center for Glass and Minnetrista are addition collaborators on the project. 

“The City of Muncie is honored to receive this Our Town Grant from the National Endowment for the Arts and to further its mission of partnering with the Muncie Arts and Culture Council," Mayor Dennis Tyler said in the release. "We are encouraged by the progress of the Muncie Maker’s movement, and we look forward to these creative placemaking efforts and how it will change the landscape of our community.”