Where to volunteer in Muncie this summer

<p>The Boys and Girls Club of Muncie is one of many organizations&nbsp;throughout the Muncie community looking for volunteers this summer. <em>Grace Ramey // DN File</em></p>

The Boys and Girls Club of Muncie is one of many organizations throughout the Muncie community looking for volunteers this summer. Grace Ramey // DN File

Editors Note: For submissions and additions to the volunteer activities listing, please email news@bsudailynews.com with the event details.

Want to spend the summer giving back to the community?

Here are some opportunities to do volunteer work in Muncie:

American Red Cross

325 E Washington St, Muncie

The American Red Cross, is offering positions for volunteers to assist the Volunteer Management for the Blood Services Region. Volunteers will be given the task of providing scheduling assistance in order to support blood drive operations, which also builds professional skills. It's five hours a week and requires on-the-job training and volunteer orientation.

To learn more about the volunteer opportunities offered by the American Red Cross, visit their website

Boys and Girls Club

1710 S Madison St.

The Boys and Girls Club of Muncie is a local nonprofit that provides after-school and summer programming for youth, grades K-12. The club offers volunteer opportunities for individuals and groups to help change and save the lives of children and youth in a safe and engaging environment while providing programming that inspires and prepares them for great futures, according to bgcmuncie.org

The requirements to volunteer include filling out an application, passing a background check and calling Volunteer Coordinator Robert Uram at 765-282-4461. 

Cardinal Greenways

700 E. Wysor Street

The Cardinal Greenways will be hosting Bike Fest 2017, a new cycling event for the community. In conjunction with the city of Muncie and Bike Muncie, Cardinal Greenways Bike Fest 2017, is a three-day event of cycling, entertainment, and recreation on July 28th, 29th and 30th, according to cardinalgreenways.org

Volunteer Coordinator Kyle Johnson said the organization is looking for some student volunteers to help cover Bike Fest. To volunteer, fill out a form here

Habitat for Humanity 

1923 S Hoyt Ave

Greater Muncie Habitat for Humanity is a local nonprofit organization that builds and repairs houses using volunteer labor and donations. The organization offers multiple group or single person volunteer opportunities including: at the construction sites, ReStore, being a meal provider, partner family mentor and women build. 

The learn more and volunteer with Habitat for Humanity, visit their website and fill out an application form. 

Liberty Village

4600 E Jackson St, Muncie

The local nursing home is looking for volunteers for hospice care. The postion is for patient and family censorship with tasks from putting together scrapbooks in the patients memory, writing newsletters and other media and to event planning.

The volunteer requirements include being at least 14 years of age, a background check and orientation with training.

Muncie Mission

1725 S Liberty St

The Muncie Mission is a local, faith-based nonprofit with a mission to provide compassionate rescue services on an immediate and/or long-term basis to the poor and needy of Muncie and East Central Indiana, according to munciemissiong.org

There are multiple volunteer opportunities with Muncie Mission including: working alongside staff to helping keep offices, residence, stores and warehouse running smoothly, working in the Attic Window stores, or helping families in the food pantry.

Muncie Public Library 

4 locations: 

Maring-Hunt Library, 2005 S High St

Kennedy Library, 1700 W McGalliard Rd

Carnegie/Local History & Genealogy, 301 E Jackson St

Connection Corner, 1824 E Centennial Ave

The Muncie Public Library provides 11 different volunteering opportunities from helping collections to assisting in Youth Services.  

To volunteer, visit any location and fill out a volunteer registration form and a background check permission form or go online to www.munciepubliclibrary.org

Unity Center

515 S Madison St.

The Unity Center is looking for volunteers to help operate the community center for the youth of Muncie and to assist in the education and enrichment of the children. The center's after school program's last day is May 24 and the summer program will begin June 5. 

To find out how to volunteer, follow the Muncie Unity Center on Facebook or call 765-213-2571