Two arrested in Muncie after traffic stop on stolen moped

On Monday, officers of the Muncie Police Department arrested two in connection to a stolen moped.

Officers were traveling in the area of 23rd Street and Madison Street around 9:15 p.m. when they observed a moped fail to signal when turning into an alley. 

Officers initiated a traffic stop and noticed the driver, Gregory Fields, 41, Muncie, seemed nervous. A probable cause affidavit said he "continued to rock back and forth on the moped." 

Fields told officers that he did not have identification and provided officers with the name of Shawn McCarthy. 

Dispatch advised the officers that the license plate on the moped was stolen and did not match the VIN to the moped, which was also stolen. 

When officers asked Fields to step off the moped and place his hands around his back, he complied but later began to pull away. 

Fields continued to resist and at one point, one of the officers was knocked onto his back. 

Officers continued to struggle with Fields as he held both of his arms under his body. 

The passenger on the moped, Mackenzie Harker, 18, Muncie, picked up a body camera of one of the officers that had fallen and threw it at them.

Before fleeing on foot, Harker got close to the officers and yelled at them to stop hitting Fields. 

The officers finally were able to take Fields into custody and located a pocket knife that was unfolded under his body. Officers also located two glass crack cocaine pipes in Fields' coat pocket. 

Fields was taken to the Delaware County Jail and was preliminarily charged with identity deception, battery with injury to police, resisting law enforcement, possession of paraphernalia, theft, and booked in on four warrants. 

Officers located Harker running through a lawn and took her into custody. 

Harker was also taken to the Delaware County Jail and was preliminarily charged with battery with injury to police, resisting law enforcement, obstruction of justice and theft.