Muncie sees increase in drug overdoses during first quarter

Kaiti Sullivan // DN
Kaiti Sullivan // DN

After seeing an increase of drug overdoses in the first quarter of 2017 compared to years past, Muncie is on track to have a decrease in the second quarter.

THE NUMBERS

Jason Rogers, executive director of Delaware County Emergency Management and Delaware County Emergency Medical Services, said EMS responded to 203 overdose calls during the first quarter, Jan. 1 - March 31. This includes all types of overdoses and makes up almost 5 percent of the total 4,162 calls for service.

At IU Health Ball Memorial Hospital since the beginning of 2017, opiates have been the most frequently treated type of overdose, with heroin at the top of the list.

“The numbers were out of control,” said Muncie Police Chief Joe Winkle. “It’s unacceptable to have that many people dying from these things.”

RELATED: Heroin a growing problem in Indiana, police say

According to incident logs from the Muncie Police Department, police responded to 142 overdose calls, compared to 88 during the same time frame in 2016.

In April, MPD responded to 34 overdose calls; compared to the 49 in January.

Winkle said police have entered the enforcement stage as the department continues to go after the heroin dealers.

Since April, Winkle said MPD has served almost 20 search warrants and made numerous arrests.

IT'S PERSONAL

“It’s a terrible number. It almost brought tears to my eyes just sitting here,” said Marwin Strong of Enough is Enough. “Some of these people that overdosed I know and I’ve tried to help.”

Enough is Enough is a community organization, started by Strong, that aims to help reduce gun violence in the Muncie community.

RELATED: Local group 'Enough is Enough' aims to stop Muncie gun violence

Dr. Jan Kornilow, medical director at Ball Memorial Hospital, said the numbers have resulted in a high number of patients frequently visiting the hospital.

“On one shift I have seen four narcotic overdoses in less than 20 minutes all from different areas in town," Kornilow said. "Several weeks ago there were 27 overdoses in a weekend with three deaths.”

The drug Naloxone, sold by the name Narcan, is a medication that blocks the effects of opioids.

Delaware County EMS administered 200 doses of Narcan during the first quarter, but Kornilow said not every overdose patient receives Narcan and some need multiple doses.

"Due to the high potency of the drugs these days, multiple doses of Narcan have been required to reverse the effects of the opiate/opioid,” she said.

FINDING HELP

Ball Memorial Hospital offers outpatient rehabilitation resources to help patients recover from the trauma associated with an overdose.

However, patients are not required to attend these programs unless it is court mandated by a judge.

While the hospital does offers outpatient rehabilitation, Strong said he wants to see an inpatient rehab and treatment center in Muncie or Delaware County.

Strong said the centers would "help the community and bring jobs to the area," something he thinks a lack of contributes to the high drug use and crime rates.

Seeing the Ball State community get more involved, being informed and spreading awareness about this drug epidemic is something Strong also said he would like to see.

“The reason I would love Ball State to do apart of it is because it's killing a lot more young people than older people,” Strong said.

More than 1,300 people are currently involved in Enough is Enough.

RELATED: 'Five Minutes with the Mayor' addresses community member concerns

For now, Winkle said MPD is optimistic that they are going to make a difference, but they will continue to push heroin away from the community.

“To think you are going to stop it is not very realistic," he said. "We just want to make Muncie and Delaware County a place where people know if come here and are dealing heroin, you know we are out actively enforcing it and looking for you."