Muncie man arrested after fatal crash in Delaware County

A 6-year-old is dead after police say she was killed in a car crash caused by a driver and passenger arguing in the front seat. 

Jessica Skeens, 28, Farmland, was driving a van traveling in the area of the Muncie Bypass and Meeker Avenue with her boyfriend and four children when Skeens lost control of the van and it rolled over into a ditch. 

Delaware County deputies and officers of the Indiana State Police were called to the scene around 4:35 p.m on Saturday. 

In a press release, ISP said Skeens and her boyfriend, Nathaniel Jordan, 27, Muncie, were fighting when Jordan punched Skeens, grabbed the steering wheel, and caused Skeens to lose control of the van. 

RELATED: Indiana police promote driving safety through "Click it or Ticket" campaign

The 6-year-old, Taelyn Woodson, was ejected from the vehicle and was pronounced dead. Three other children were in the car and were transported to IU Health Ball Memorial Hospital to be treated for minor injuries. 

Skeens was transported and treated for a broken arm and Jordan was treated for minor injuries.

Police said that two of the children were restrained and two of the children were not restrained. 

Jordan was arrested and transported to the Delaware County Jail and is preliminary charged with neglect of a dependent causing death, felony criminal recklessness and domestic battery. 

Charges are still possible pending toxicology reports and the further investigation of the deadly crash. 

Police said it is believed that alcohol and no or improper use of child restraints and seatbelts contributed to the crash.