Indiana State Police investigating officer involved shooting in Muncie

<p>Indiana State Police are currently investigating an officer involved shooting that occurred on the south side of Muncie around 2:30 a.m.&nbsp;The shooting was not fatal and the man was taken to Ball Memorial Hospital. Max Lewis // DN</p>

Indiana State Police are currently investigating an officer involved shooting that occurred on the south side of Muncie around 2:30 a.m. The shooting was not fatal and the man was taken to Ball Memorial Hospital. Max Lewis // DN

Indiana State Police (ISP) are currently investigating an officer-involved shooting that occurred on the south side of Muncie around 2:30 a.m.

Two Muncie Police officers stopped a man in a gray Chevrolet Cavalier in the area of 12th and Hoyt streets for a traffic violation, according to a press release from ISP. The male driver and female passenger then fled. Police chased the car which ended up crashing through the gates of the U.S. Postal Office at 501 W. Memorial Drive.  

The female passenger jumped from the vehicle after it crashed through the gates. The officers then stopped to help the passenger when they saw the car driving backing toward them at a "high rate of speed." 

Officers then fired shots into the car and struck the man, according to the press release.

The man, identified as 48-year-old Charles Kevin Dinkins, was taken to I.U. Health Ball Memorial Hospital for treatment. His injuries were non-life threatening. Dinkins was last listed in critical condition.

The female passenger is not being charged with anything at this time, ISP Sgt. John Bowling said in an email. It is unknown if EMS responded to treat the female passenger. 

Police later learned that Dinkins' license was suspended and he is wanted on a misdemeanor warrant out of Henry County. 

The officers were wearing body cams during the shooting, Muncie Police Chief Joe Winkle said. 

This story will be updated.