Latinx Student Union to host 'Mi Voz' month of events

<p>LSU will host their month of events, Mi Voz (My Voice), this month. The events will begin Monday, March 13 and go through the first week of April. Latinx Student Union // Photo Courtesy</p>

LSU will host their month of events, Mi Voz (My Voice), this month. The events will begin Monday, March 13 and go through the first week of April. Latinx Student Union // Photo Courtesy

"Si se puede" is a chant that can be heard throughout Latinx communities, meaning "yes we can." This month the chant will be heard around campus from Latinx Student Union.

LSU will host its month of events, Mi Voz (My Voice), this month with events beginning today. The events run through the first week of April.

Here’s a breakdown of LSU's month of events:

We Are Equal, hosted in collaboration with the Multicultural Center

• 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Tuesday in the Atrium (today's campaign was postponed due to weather)
  • What to expect: Sign the We Are Equal Pledge and take photos

Latinx in Stem

• 6 p.m. Wednesday in Teachers College Room 108

30th Anniversary Mixer

• 5 p.m. Friday in the L.A. Pittenger Student Center Cardinal Halls B and C
  • What to expect: Celebrate LSU’s 30-year anniversary with free food, a lip sync battle, photo booth and lotteria. LSU asks students to RSVP to this event.

Parranda: A Celebration of Afrolatinx Culture

• 5 to 6:30 p.m. March 21 in the L.A. Pittenger Student Center Multipurpose Room
  • What to expect: Learn and celebrate the AfroLatinx culture. There will be music, art and food.

Citizen’s Workshop

• 5 to 7 p.m. March 22 in the L.A. Pittenger Student Center Rooms 301 and 302
  • What to expect: Learn about citizenship and how one becomes a citizen of the United States through naturalization. A panel will be present to share their stories, and a lawyer will be present to answer any questions students may have. Students will also be able to take the citizenship test.

Latinx and Queer: Our Coming Out Stories, hosted in collaboration with Spectrum

• 6 to 7:30 p.m. March 28 in the L.A. Pittenger Student Center Forum Room
  • What to expect: Listen to members of the Latinx and LGBTQ community share their coming out stories. Students are encouraged to bring a blanket and share their stories

Which Is Spicier?, hosted in collaboration with the Asian-American Student Association

• 5 to 8 p.m. March 29 in the Rinker Center
  • What to expect: Students will try Latin and Asian foods from different countries.

Volunteering with Muncie Animal Shelter

• 3 to 5 p.m. March 31 at the Muncie Animal Shelter

Dinner Theatre: Reyes Poetry, hosted in collaboration with the University Program Board, the Student Government Association and Gamma Phi Omega.

• 7 to 8 p.m. April 4 in the L.A. Pittenger Student Center Cardinal Halls
  • What to expect: Reyes will be performing interactive slam poetry. His performance will feature cultural identity and social issues. There will be a pasta buffet.

DREAMers Panel

• 5 to 6:30 p.m. April 6 in the L.A. Pittenger Student Center Music Lounge
  • What to expect: Students will be educated on what a DREAMer is. A panel of DREAMers will be present to share their experiences. Letters from DREAMers will also be read. An immigration lawyer will be present to answer any questions students may have.