RECAP: Ball State baseball falls to No. 12 Louisville

Junior pitcher Kevin Marnon attempts to pitch the baseball on Friday, March 18, 2016 at First Merchants Ballpark Complex. DN PHOTO ALLYE CLAYTON

Game Statistics

Ball State: 4 runs, 9 hits, 10 left on base

Louisville: 10 runs, 10 hits, 10 left on base

W, Shane Hummel (1-0)

L, Evan Marquardt (0-1)

Fans of both Ball State and Louisville were rooting for the Cardinals in Ball State's 10-4 loss Sunday.

Both Ball State (2-1) and No. 12 Louisville (3-0) call their athletic teams the Cardinals, but it was Louisville that had the last laugh after a six-run sixth inning gave them a 10-1 lead.

Junior right-handed pitcher Colin Brockhouse was originally scheduled to start, but instead was used as a reliever in Friday's win over No. 22 Maryland. With Brockhouse unavailable, redshirt sophomore righty Evan Marquardt got the start.

Marquardt was credited with the loss after allowing four runs (three earned) in 3.1 innings on the mound, though he did strike out three of the first four batters he faced.

Freshman right-hander John Baker made his collegiate debut later in the game, striking out three batters in the final three innings without allowing a run.

Senior shortstop Alex Maloney led the Ball State at the plate, going 3-4 with a double and 2 RBI.

Ball State is back in action Friday against defending nation No. 11 Coastal Carolina in Conway, South Carolina.