SGA announces slates for upcoming election

<p>Two new political parties will be running against each other in the 2017 elections for the&nbsp;Student Government Association. The two new slates, Optic and Ignite, will campaign for students' votes in the upcoming SGA election.&nbsp;<i style="background-color: initial;">Andrew Smith // DN</i></p>

Two new political parties will be running against each other in the 2017 elections for the Student Government Association. The two new slates, Optic and Ignite, will campaign for students' votes in the upcoming SGA election. Andrew Smith // DN

President and vice president debate: 9 p.m. Feb. 16 in Teachers College Room 120

All-Slate Debate: 9 p.m. Feb. 20 in Pruis Hall

Presidential Town Hall Debate: 9 p.m. Feb. 23 in L.A. Pittenger Student Center Cardinal Halls A, B and C

Town Hall Question Submission: bsusgaelections@gmail.com 

Voting: Opens at 8 a.m. Feb. 27 and closes at 5 p.m. Feb. 28

The Student Government Association announced the two slates that will be running against each other in the 2017 elections Monday night.

OPTiC and Ignite will be the two student slates campaigning for Ball State students' votes in the upcoming SGA election.

OPTiC is headed by presidential candidate Greg Carbó, a junior organizational communications major. Their platform points are insight, innovation and inclusion.

Carbó said his slate will focus on improving programs that are already in place.

"Our platform points are really focused on not just trying to come in and give a hundred new stuff that we'll try to get to Ball State," Carbó said. "What we're really going to focus on is using the initiatives that Ball State has put time and money into."

Ignite is headed by presidential candidate Gabrielle Lloyd, a junior telecommunications major. Ignite's platform points are inclusion, growth, navigate, invest, transparency and engagement. 

"We wanted to ignite the student body's voice and inspire them to be their best selves," said campaign manager Kam Bontrager. "We strive to connect students to their resources, promote an inclusive campus and create a voice that students are confident to stand behind. Your voice matters."

This year the election process will include, for the first time, a presidential town hall-style debate. 

"The town hall debate will just be more beneficial to people because you'll be face to face with candidates," Carrie Ann Staggs, elections board commissioner, said in a press release. 

Students will be selected before the debate and if students are wishing to submit questions they can email them to bsusgaelections@gmail.com. 

The slates will participate in three debates total, where they will "prove to their peers that they have the best platform."

SGA will hold the president and vice president debate 9 p.m. Thursday in Teachers College Room 120.

Ignite

President — Gabrielle Lloyd, telecommunications major

Vice president — Zoe Taylor, history, telecommunications and history major

Secretary — Caleb Conley, public relations major

Treasurer — Theodore Hoffman, international business, Japanese and Chinese major

OPTiC

President — Greg Carbó, organizational communication major

Vice president — Katy Volikas, international relations and political science major

Secretary — Lizzie Ford, psychology major

Treasurer — Kaia Thompson, communication studies major