Ball State Dance Marathon to celebrate 10 years this Saturday

<p>This Saturday, 1,400 students will take part in Ball State's 10th annual Dance Marathon where they will dance for 13.1 hours to raise money for Riley Children's Hospital in Indianapolis.&nbsp;<a href="http://www.bsudm.org/">Ball State Dance Marathon</a> funds two programs at Riley Hospital, "Magic Castle Cart" and&nbsp;Palliative Care Program. Breanna Daugherty //&nbsp;DN File</p>

This Saturday, 1,400 students will take part in Ball State's 10th annual Dance Marathon where they will dance for 13.1 hours to raise money for Riley Children's Hospital in Indianapolis. Ball State Dance Marathon funds two programs at Riley Hospital, "Magic Castle Cart" and Palliative Care Program. Breanna Daugherty // DN File

This Saturday, 1,400 students will take part in Ball State's 10th-annual Dance Marathon, where they will dance for 13.1 hours to raise money for Riley Children's Hospital in Indianapolis.

Along with this year's anniversary, the event is longer than any before. 

"The event is 13.1 hours long this year, symbolic of a half marathon," Jacob Logeman, vice present of external affairs said. 

Dancers have been busy collecting donations around Muncie — hosting events like color wars, formals and Dance Marathon Olympics — all to help raise money for the event. Last year, dancers were able to raise more than $610,000. 

RELATED: Dance Marathon dancers stand strong, raise more than $610,000

On Monday, dancers were able to raise over $75,000 for Day of Hope.

Ball State Dance Marathon funds two programs at Riley Hospital, one being the "Magic Castle Cart."

The cart, which provides "smile therapy" to Riley patients, is stocked with gifts for the patients and delivered to them by volunteers at the hospital. 

It costs approximately $30,000 annually to maintain two carts, including the one which is specifically tailored to Ball State. 

Ball State Dance Marathon also funds the Palliative Care Program at Riley Hospital.

This program provides relief from symptoms, pain and stress for children diagnosed with a serious illness. The goal is to improve the quality of life not only for the child diagnosed, but for their family as well.

"Personally, I'm looking forward most to spreading the BSUDM love to new dancers and committee members," Logeman said. "I'm excited to watch them fall in love with the event and join us in celebrating this wonderful cause."

Ball State Dance Marathon was started in 2003 by Phi Mu and Sigma Alpha Epsilon as a philanthropic event.