FIRST IMPRESSIONS: Need to brush up on your makeup skills? Try these gurus

Lily Smitha is a freshman advertising major and writes "First Impressions" for the Daily News. Her views do not necessarily agree with those of the newspaper. Write to Lily at lksmitha@bsu.edu.

Lily Smitha

Learning how to put makeup on can be a challenge when there are many different styles and steps to be done. There are a ridiculous amount of rules to go by if you don’t want to look like a 2010 Kardashian (you know what I’m talking about). 

You’ve got to have the right shade of foundation for your skin tone, cool-toned matte bronzer for contour to create a natural shadow and the right shade of blush — peach generally looks good on every skin tone. Of course there’s more, but if I told you, that would defeat the point of this article. 

YouTube has made learning how to apply makeup a whole of a lot easier. There are people out there making videos specifically teaching makeup basics and step-by-step looks for all occasions. I am here to enlighten you on some of the best out there and what they bring to the table.

Laura Lee: Laura is personally one of my favorites, with a light and bubbly personality. She also has crazy amazing skills. She is both entertaining to watch and informative with an easy-to-follow-along style. She has a large variety of videos including tutorials, product reviews and some more in the comedy style. She is my go-to when I need new makeup, especially when I need to downgrade to a cheaper option. Laura knows what is a bang for your buck and how not to sacrifice quality. She has got it all and a sense of humor to keep you engaged.

Manny Mau: For all the men out there who like makeup, Manny is the guy for you! Of course, you can watch whomever you please but men are structured a little differently when it comes to women as far as faces go. His videos are similar to Laura’s with his tutorials, but Manny focuses on shadowing and hiding, or emphasizing, male facial features. He has easy-to-follow videos and is sassy for days, it's fantastic. His makeup skills are beyond crazy and the looks he puts together are wonderful.

NikkieTutorials: One of the biggest reasons I started to watch Nikkie was because she’s pale and has a round face, like me. That sounds pretty blunt but most of the girls on Youtube are thin and tan and have the perfect-shaped face. Nikkie brings something to the table that helps out me, and all the other people like me. She knows what makeup to use for being super pale and is also very wise when it comes to how to contour a more rounded face to accentuate the more hidden cheek bones flawlessly. She also has some of the best eye makeup tutorials when you are looking for anything super glam.