Six highlights from the Golden Globe Awards

Emma Stone backstage at the 74th Annual Golden Globe Awards show at the Beverly Hilton Hotel in Beverly Hills, Calif., on Sunday, Jan. 8, 2017. (Allen J. Schaben/Los Angeles Times/TNS)

To see a full list of all the Golden Globes winners, visit their website.

Didn't catch the Golden Globes last night? Catch up on what you missed with these highlights.

1. The Red Carpet

The stars on the red carpet wowed with bold new fashions and styles. Standouts included Viola Davis and Reese Witherspoon in bright yellows, Emma Stone in starry Valentino, Evan Rachel Wood in a jumpsuit, and the Stallone sisters (Sophia, Sistine and Scarlet) in matching black gowns. The sisters were the first to share the role of Miss Golden Globe, an annual tradition, at the awards show. See a full slideshow of Golden Globes fashion from the New York Times here.

2. A star-studded intro

Jimmy Fallon is known for incorporating singing into his comedy, and his opening number did not disappoint. The musical montage was a play on several songs and scenes from the nominated movie “La La Land,” and included cameos from Amy Adams, Ryan Reynolds and Justin Timberlake. Watch the performance here.

3. Newcomers rule television

The Hollywood Foreign Press honored many new faces in television this year over old favorites. Netflix’s original series “The Crown,” based on the life of Queen Elizabeth II, took home two awards, as did Donald Glover’s new series “Atlanta.” Tracee Ellis Ross, who won her first award for her role in “Black-ish,” gave a scene-stealing speech dedicating her award to “all of the women, women of color and colorful people, whose stories, ideas and thoughts are not always considered worthy and valid and important.”

4. 'La La Land' won big

The romantic musical, featuring Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone, was nominated for seven awards and took home all seven. Awards included best actor and actress in a comedy for Gosling and Stone, as well as best original score, original song, original screenplay, director and best comedy or musical. In the inspiring spirit of "La La Land," Emma Stone dedicated her award to “any creative person who has had a door slammed in their face, or anyone who feels like giving up." Watch the trailer for "La La Land" here.

5. New voices

In the prestigious drama categories, diverse faces ruled the awards. “Moonlight,” a film about a young black man’s journey from childhood to adulthood, took the overall award, while Viola Davis won for her role in “Fences,” and Casey Affleck for his in “Manchester by the Sea.” In a surprise win, 63-year-old French actress Isabelle Huppert won for her role in “Elle.”

6. Touching tributes

The show honored the passing of mother-daughter duo Debbie Reynolds and Carrie Fisher with a short and sweet tribute to the actresses. In addition, Meryl Streep was awarded the Cecil B. DeMille lifetime achievement award, honoring her decades-long career in Hollywood. Viola Davis gave an earnest introduction to the star, and Streep’s acceptance speech touched on many political issues she was passionate about. Watch her speech here.