Ball State men's swim and dive lose at Grand Valley State

Junior Isaac Walling swims in the 1000 freestyle against Tiffin University on Nov. 5 at Lewellen Aquatic Center.  Walling placed second in the event.  DN // Patrick Murphy
Junior Isaac Walling swims in the 1000 freestyle against Tiffin University on Nov. 5 at Lewellen Aquatic Center. Walling placed second in the event. DN // Patrick Murphy

Ball State men's swim and dive came up short against Grand Valley State, losing 198-97.

The Cardinals were outscored in every event, said head coach Bob Thomas.

A bright spot for the Cardinals was when junior Isaac Walling won the 1000-yard freestyle with a time of 10:07.53. Walling swam better than his previous time (10:12.53) at the dual meet against Tiffin University.

Freshman Ben Andrew also won in the 400 individual medley. Andrew had a time of 4:23.16, scoring nine points for the team.

Thomas thought the team performed well, considering they had to travel.

“The swimmers were able to stay in a certain percentage of their time. Now, we are looking forward to the Eastern Michigan Invitational,” Thomas said.

On the boards, sophomore Lane Sawyer led the Cardinals with a third place in the one-meter dive, scoring 225.15 points. Sawyer’s score is a four-point improvement from the meet against Tiffin. On the three-meter Sawyer scored 203.70 points.

The Cardinals will be on the road on Dec. 2 and 3 for a prelim final meet at the Eastern Michigan Invitational.