THE CAT'S MEOW: Tips for transfer students

Kitty Taylor is a junior art major who writes "The Cat's Meow" for the Daily News. Her views do not necessarily agree with those of the newspaper. Write to Kitty at kjtaylor3@bsu.edu.

First, let me welcome you to Ball State. Coming from a college of 300, I understand how confusing resettling can be. Let me throw around some tips I’ve learned in my time here.

Take advantage of everything Ball State has to offer.

That doesn’t mean go to every free event and pig out on cookies. It means take advantage of what is provided. For example: Late Night, Friday Night Film Works, the clinic and much more. There are so many untapped resources on this campus, it's crazy. Plus, you are technically paying for many of these features.

Make a friend in every class.                          

Even if you never hang out with them outside of class and only discuss assignments, it’s good to have someone there.

Try to find your classes before you are required to be there.

The second you get your schedule for the semester, go find that classroom. This will save you from missing a class and first day anxiety.

Use the bus.

It will take you from one class to another on rainy days or as far as Walmart or the mall.

Get to know your neighbors.

Whether it’s hall mates or next door. Trust me.

Everything is on the same street.

Ball State is built like a tree. The Village is the roots, University Avenue is the trunk, and the buildings, dorms and stadiums are the branches.

Stay in touch with your academic adviser.

I go overboard on this rule sometimes but they’re there to help you with your classes and to help you graduate.

You may have to tack on a semester or additional year of college.

Don’t freak out, it happens to the best of us. Just readjust as needed and maybe take some online summer courses. Remember the "talking to the adviser" suggestion? Use them.

We have a lot of places to eat.

That being said, if you lose a meal you don’t get it back. And Cardinal Cash can go fast.

Relearn your professors and department.

Use Rate My Professor and get to know your department. The departments here are large enough to have a big staff yet small enough to have decent communication.

Read the campus/local newspaper, check your email, and Benny Link.

These sources will tell you what is going on, in and off campus. Word of mouth will also help out with learning events.

Lastly, when in doubt, ask for help.