Ball State student finishes Muncie Ironman

It took Ball State's Runners' Association president just under five and a half hours to traverse 70.3 miles in the Muncie Ironman 70.3 this past weekend.

Davon Geiger, 22, finished 14th in the men's 18-24 age group (402nd overall).

The triathlon drew competitors from across the country. Jo Ann Sheppard, for example, made the trip from her hometown of Alpharetta, Georgia, to celebrate her 50th birthday.

"I decided this is a momentous day and I was going to do momentous things," she said.

Sheppard finished 38th on her first day of eligibility in the women's 50-54 age group with a time of 7:30:22.

She laughed when she said it was her first time in Indiana.

"Compared to Georgia, it's really flat," she said. "A lot of scenery and a lot of corn."

Geiger said the Ironman events create a national community of like-minded athletes.

"I was even talking to somebody from New Orleans, and just how they spoke of Indiana, it just made you proud to be there in your home state," he said. "But I'm hoping that me doing races will open doors up."

Ben Hammer of Grand Rapids, Michigan, was the overall winner of the race, finishing in 4:06:21. Geiger said he doesn't expect to become that fast himself, but he still feels comfortable approaching the top finishers for advice.

"The best part about it is if you go up and talk to them, they’ll talk right back to you," he said. "They’re the most polite people, and it really just helps you fall in love with the sport that much more.”

Geiger said he competed in his first triathlon in the summer after his freshman year of high school, when his aunt asked if he wanted to join her.

"I figured I’d give it a shot, and I just fell in love with the sport," he said. "I did more sprint triathlons up until my freshman year of college, which is when I did my first Muncie Ironman. Ever since I did that, I’ve been coming back."

Geiger's next triathlon will be the Ohio Ironman in Delaware, Ohio, on August 21.