Jeremiah Davis will transfer from Ball State for final year of eligibility

<p>Senior guard Jeremiah Davis started most of last season, however he has been developing a different role to provide better scoring and defense. The Ball State men's basketball team is 10-5 in their season and 1-1 in Mid-American Conference play. <em>DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY</em></p>

Senior guard Jeremiah Davis started most of last season, however he has been developing a different role to provide better scoring and defense. The Ball State men's basketball team is 10-5 in their season and 1-1 in Mid-American Conference play. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

Jeremiah Davis — Ball State statistics

Games played: 42

Games started: 19

Minutes per game: 22.9

Points per game: 6.6

Field goal percentage: .364

Rebound per game: 3.0

Assists per game: 2.8

Jeremiah Davis' basketball career in Muncie is over.

Davis, a Muncie native, played at Muncie Central and spent the last two seasons at Ball State. He's been granted a sixth year of college eligibility, but has decided to end his career someplace else. 

He said he's not sure where he'll play yet. But he was appreciative of the time he spent in Muncie.

"It was a great time. I got a lot accomplished," he said. "But I'm looking to move on."

Davis transferred from Cincinnati, and played a big role on last season's Ball State team, starting 17 games. He missed the first semester with a foot injury, but played a lot in the backcourt after Jeremie Tyler was ruled academically ineligible and averaged 7.1 points per game.

But this year, the Cardinals got deeper. They got better. And Davis' minutes took a big hit.

He started the first two games of the year, but Ryan Weber eventually replaced him in the lineup. After Francis Kiapway took over at the point guard spot, Davis lost the rest of his minutes to transfer Naiel Smith the rest of the team's guards.

Davis averaged just 17.6 minutes per game over the course of the season and played in four of Ball State's final 17 games.

He had some big plays, including a game-winning layup against Miami on Jan. 16, but couldn't keep momentum on the floor. He became part of the supporting cast for the 21-win Cardinals.

Davis made his mark as a player in Muncie. His family is here. But he's looking for more somewhere else.

"We had a lot of really good times, and I'm just thankful for the opportunity that I had at Ball State," Davis said. "I've been very pleased with my stay here."