Weekend in athletics: Feb. 5-7

<p>DN FILE PHOTO</p>

DN FILE PHOTO

Friday, Feb. 5

Men's tennis traveled to No. 53 Indiana University and suffered a 4-0 loss to the Hoosiers. They then went to Notre Dame Feb. 7 in the Eck Tennis Pavilion, where they dropped the match 7-0 against the No. 36 Fighting Irish.

Saturday, Feb. 6

The two-day track and field event at the Meyo Invite brought back two top-15 finishes for the Cardinals. Freshman Regan Lewis finished 8th in high jump (5' 5.75" / 1.67m). Senior thrower Marie Lumpkin placed 15th in the weight throw with a 17.47-meter toss.

Behind senior Nathalie Fontaine's 18-point performance, women's basketball was able to overcome a 14-point deficit en route to its 59-57 victory over Buffalo. The win brings the Cardinals to 16-5 overall and 8-2 in the Mid-American Conference.

Women's tennis continued its winning ways after defeating both Detroit Mercy and Valparaiso 6-1 at the Muncie YMCA Tennis Center. The victory brings the Cardinals to 3-1 on the season. The team's next competition will be against Southern Illinois at 2 p.m. Feb. 13.

Men's basketball was able to slip past Western Michigan in overtime at Worthen Arena. Behind the team-high 15 3-point field goals, the Cardinals move to 15-8 overall and 6-4 in the MAC.

For the second straight meet, gymnastics was able to score a season high and still come away with loss. The 194.675-point performance wasn't enough to pass Western Michigan's 194.800 points. Ball State is 0-3 in the MAC, but will return to action on Valentine's Day for its Think Pink meet against Kentucky, Kent State and Lindenwood. 

The No. 15 men's volleyball team won both matches over the weekend after trailing 0-2 in both. After taking down McKendree on the road 3-2, the team was able to go to Columbus, Ohio, to take down the No. 7 Ohio State Buckeyes. This concluded the team's 6-match road trip, and they return home to play in-state rival IPFW on Feb. 11 at Worthen Arena.