Officials from Ball State game at Eastern Michigan suspended

Sophomore guard Francis Kiapway goes up for a shot during the game against Kent State on Jan. 19 at Worthen Arena. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

Two Mid-American Conference basketball officials have been suspended for two games following Ball State's 88-87 double overtime win over Eastern Michigan on Saturday, according to an official statement from the conference.

The statement says the officials made "several errors committed" during the game. Neither official will be considered for 2016 post-season assignments in the MAC Tournament.

With Ball State trailing 87-85 on the final possession of double overtime, sophomore Francis Kiapway missed a three-pointer from the left corner. An Eastern Michigan player grabbed the rebound and dribbled into the left corner before being doubled by Franko House and Ryan Weber. After a struggle for the ball, Weber came out of the scrum with it and passed it to Kiapway at the top of the key, who hit a game-winning three-pointer.

The statement also included that the MAC holds its officials to the highest standards, and "multiple errors in one multiple errors in judgment on one play, as in this case, must be met with swift and firm disciplinary action."

"The final play of the game was not handled appropriately by several officials and unfortunately took away from what was a highly competitive and entertaining game for the competing students and fans," MAC Commissioner Jon Steinbrecher said in a statement. "I along with our membership have higher expectations and as a result have directed our coordinator of men's basketball officials to take appropriate disciplinary action, including multiple-game suspensions."