Kitchel named MAC West Offensive Player of the Week

Freshman outside hitter Mackenzie Kitchel plays during the game on Tuesday evening. DN PHOTO JORDAN HUFFER

Season Statistics

Sets played - 52

Kills - 114

Kills per set - 2.19

Digs - 48

Points - 122.0

Coming off of a back surgery this season, Kitchel seems to be back in full swing, and head coach Steve Shondell couldn't be more proud.

“I couldn't be any happier for her,” Shondell said. "There’s no one in the world I would rather see win that award just because of everything she has been through.”

Kitchel came off of back surgery a bit too soon, as during one practice Shondell noticed she struggled to move, so he sent her back to the trainer. 

Shondell decided it was best to limit her practice from there and keep her out of the rotation against Kent State and Ohio the week before.

This was a move Shondell was particularly pleased with.

"The best thing that I did was rest her the previous weekend," Shondell said. "She came back the following [week] ... just like a completely different player."

The following weekend Kitchel came back in full force. 

Against Miami (Ohio) and Bowling Green, Kitchel had 24 kills, averaged 4.00 kills per set, while maintaining a .413 attack percentage. Defensively, she also had three digs as well as three blocks.

Behind Kitchel’s player-of-the-match performance and team-leading 13.5 points and 12 kills against the second ranked MAC East Division Red-Hawks, she added a dominant .310 attack percentage, as Ball State knocked off Miami in three sets (25-19, 25-22, 25-21).

Ball State came back on Oct. 24 to face off against Bowling Green, who sat last in the MAC East Division. Kitchel played even better. She matched her 12 kills from the night before, but did it while hitting a career-high .588 attack percentage. The Cardinals eased through the Falcons in three sets as well (25-16, 25-22, 25-11).

Shondell was more than impressed in her offensive performance. 

“I thought it was the best volleyball I’ve seen her play in her entire life," Shondell said. "The two matches she played might have been the two best matches as a Ball State Cardinal.”

Prior to this weekend, the Cardinals were on a four-game skid, a period of time when Kitchel was suffering through her back injury. During the streak, Kitchel played in seven sets with three kills, nine errors and a -0.188 attack percentage.

With her reinvigorated offensive presence, the Cardinals are beginning to surge forward in the last part of the season.

As long as she stays healthy, Shondell is confident in her playing at this caliber throughout the remainder of the season. 

"I think her future depends on how she feels," Shondell said. "If her back feels good, I think she’ll continue to play well.”

Kitchel and the rest of the Cardinals will look to continue their success with four of the last five matches being at home. Ball State’s next match will be on Oct. 29 against Toledo (4-19, 1-9), who is currently last place in the MAC West Division.