FILM ANNALYSIS: The top 5 ways 2015 would disappoint Marty McFly

Slack to the future

<p>"Back to the Future Part II," <em>PHOTO COURTESY OF BACKTOTHEFUTURE.COM. </em></p>

"Back to the Future Part II," PHOTO COURTESY OF BACKTOTHEFUTURE.COM. 

Anna Bowman is a senior English and telecommunications major and writes 'Film Annalysis' for the Daily News. Her views do not necessarily agree with those of the newspaper. Write to Anna at aabowman@bsu.edu.

Today is the day to keep an eye out for a man wearing an oversized jacket, Nike high tops and cold wash jeans, which may be difficult due to the recent hipster fascination with borderline ugly clothing. Yes, that’s right, Oct. 21, 2015, marks the day in time that Doc and Marty traveled to in “Back to the Future” many moons ago.

While we’ve made a lot of advances, society today is nowhere near what they predicted in 1985. Here are the top five ways we’ve failed our dear friend Marty McFly:

1. Expectation: Hover boards covering the sidewalks with young and old people alike going about their daily routines.

Reality: The three kids at Ball State with Oxboards going to and from class.

2. Expectation: Transportation at its finest with flying Delorians as far as the eye can see.

Reality: The only flying cars at Ball State are the ones speeding through the Scramble Light two minutes before class. Unfortunately, we still need roads, which is a shame, considering all the potholes we have in Muncie.

3. Expectation: The ability to instantly pay for a cab via fingerprint.

Reality: This convenience has been reduced to late-night drunken Uber texts from The Chug on a Saturday night.

4. Expectation: Hands-free video gaming systems taking the world by storm with brain frequency detection.

Reality: We do have Xbox Kinect, but it doesn’t detect brain frequencies. However, it can reduce them in most college students.

5. Expectation: Being able to wear all the technology you’ll need for the day, like Marty’s talking jacket.

Reality: Wearable technology has mostly been restricted to our eyes and wrists with Google Glass, the Apple Watch and the now-common Fitbit.

We may not have flying cars or hover boards, but we do have another new "Star Wars" movie coming out, which I don’t think Marty’s wildest dreams would have predicted.

AMC is showing the full "Back to the Future" trilogy on Wednesday evening. Get the details here. 

Back to the Future takes place 30 years ago. What do you think the world will be like 30 years from now? We asked a few Ball State students: