Men's, women's tennis continue preparation for spring season

Sophomore Toni Ormond serves the ball during the doubles match against Butler for the Fall Dual on Sept. 20 at the Cardinal Creek Tennis Center. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

Upcoming Schedule

Men's - Intercollegiate Tennis Association Regional's Oct. 15-18

Women's - University of Cincinnati Invite Oct. 09-10

Both of the Ball State tennis teams were in action over the weekend, continuing to participate in tournaments to prepare for the spring season.

The men's team went up north to compete in the Purdue Fall Invitational ending on Sept. 27. The tournament was split into singles (Flight A-F) as well as doubles (Flight A-C).

Junior Patrick Downs finished the invitational as the champion of the Flight E bracket after taking down Toldeo freshman Reid Teatsorth in three sets. Downs dropped his first set 3-6, but came back to take the championship round winning the next two sets 6-2, 6-4.

In the Flight C bracket, freshman Conner Andersen fell in the semi-final round against Toledo freshman Vince Anzalone in two sets. Anzalone went on to take the championship.

Andersen and sophomore teammate Collin Rigney made it to the championship match in the Flight B doubles bracket before falling 3-8 against a pair from Southern Illinois University.

The men’s tennis team will travel to Knoxville, Tenn., on Oct. 15 for the Intercollegiate Tennis Association regionals.

The women’s team was also in action this weekend, taking part in the Wildcat Invite at Northwestern University. This tournament was also split into four singles brackets and two doubles brackets over the course of three days.

In the first day of competition, freshman Peyton Gollhofer picked up the first win of her career with a straight set victory (6-1, 6-1). She was the only Cardinal to pick up a first-round victory.

The second day was better for Ball State, as it picked up two singles victories. Gollhofer picked up her second win, while junior Toni Ormond won in three sets (6-1, 4-6, 7-5). Both of them also picked up round two victories on the day.

Over the next two days, the Cardinals picked up two singles and two doubles wins.

The women’s tennis team will be in action once again on Oct. 9 at the University of Cincinnati Invite.