New England Patriots offer Eric Patterson 3-year deal

Senior corner back Eric Patterson runs downfield during the game against Indiana State University on Sept. 13 at Scheumann Stadium. DN PHOTO JONATHAN MIKSANEK

Eric Patterson

Position - Cornerback

Height - 5-foot-10

Weight - 193

Hometown - Tampa, Fla.

Ball State experience - Four letters

The former Ball State defensive back received a three-year deal from the New England Patriots on May 7. This comes on the heels of Patterson's tryout with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers after going undrafted.

"It's a great feeling, because I worked so hard for it," Patterson said. "In college, and high school growing up, [I was] just always wanting to be in the NFL. The teams that said they liked me, just giving me a tryout — that really hurt. But for the Patriots to offer me a contract, that means a lot."

Patterson tried out for both the Cleveland Browns and the Buccaneers. 

Patterson ran a 4.52 in the 40-yard dash and had a 36.5-inch vertical jump at Ball State's Pro Day on April 1. He also had a 10-foot-2 broad jump and performed 18 repetitions on the bench press.

He was a four-year letterwinner for the Cardinals, earning All-Mid-American Conference Third Team honors as a defensive back and All-MAC First Team as a kick returner in 2014.

Patterson said he can bring his winning mentality to the Patriots.

"I can bring my special teams play and just my hard work," Patterson said. "I just don't back down from anything."