MEN'S BASKETBALL: Turnovers plague Ball State in overtime loss to IUPUI

Freshman forward Sean Sellers goes up for a shot during the game against IU Kokomo on Nov. 17 at Worthen Arena. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

Playing without its starting point guard, the Ball State men's basketball team committed 25 turnovers, including one in the final minute, and ultimately fell to IUPUI 71-69 on the road in overtime.

P.J. Boutte hit a runner as time expired to win the game for the Jaguars.

Due to the indefinite suspension of sophomore Zavier Turner, fellow sophomore Kaleb Mallory started for Ball State.

The Cardinals and Jaguars traded buckets for most of the first half, with neither team holding more than a five-point lead at any point in the half.

Freshman Jeremie Tyler got the scoring started for Ball State with a jumper to make the score 2-3 in the opening minutes. He scored eight points in the game's first 13 minutes and finished with 12.

The Cardinals held the lead for most of the first half, leading 24-23 with about three minutes remaining.The Jaguars fought back to take the lead toward the end of the first half after two straight giveaways.

After IUPUI took the lead, freshman Sean Sellers hit a three-pointer to cut it to 28-27.

The Cardinals struggled from three-point range in the game, hitting only three on 11 attempts. Ball State shot 42.2 percent overall.

The Jaguars took a one-point lead into the locker room after a Sellers tip-in at the buzzer.

Sellers finished with ten points in the first half, and a game-high 22.

Ball State struggled to get anything going offensively early in the second half, going the first three minutes without a basket. IUPUI was able to extend the lead to 38-31 before Sellers ended the drought with a three.

Fifth-year senior Matt Kamieniecki later cut the IUPUI lead to 42-41 with two free-throws.

Kamieniecki recorded 10 boards in the second half and finished with a double-double. He had 11 points and 15 rebounds for the Cardinals. 

Ball State had 42 rebounds in the game compared to just 28 from IUPUI.

A Sellers dunk with 1:50 remaining gave Ball State a three-point lead. However, a three-point play from Mason Archie II of IUPUI tied the game and disqualified Ball State starting forward Franko House with five fouls.

Neither team scored in the final minute, and the game entered overtime.

The Cardinals took a 69-67 lead with just 2:04 remaining, but the Jaguars tied it up with a pair of free throws.

IUPUI made 9-12 free throws in the game, while Ball State hit 28-35.

It looked like Ball State would have the last shot following a timeout by head coach James Whitford with 36 seconds remaining. Tyler turned the ball over, however, setting up IUPUI for the game-winner. 

Ball State had just 10 assists compared to the 25 turnovers. IUPUI scored 26 points off turnovers in the game.

With the loss, the Cardinals are now 1-2 on the season. The team takes on Grambling State at 7 p.m. Nov. 24 at Worthen Arena.