WOMEN'S VOLLEYBALL: Ball State knocks off UNC-Asheville

Ball State won its seventh straight match Friday after beating UNC-Asheville, 25-21, 25-13, and 25-13.

Tied at 14 in the first set after the teams traded points throughout the match, kills from Ball State’s Alex Fuelling and Jenna Spadafora pushed Ball State out front and gave the team a lead it wouldn’t give up.

With UNC-Asheville closing the gap to 20-19, kills from Ball State’s Lauren Grant and Fuelling, along with an error from UNC-Asheville, extended the lead to four, with another kill from Fuelling finishing off the set.

The second set started out just as close with the score tied at seven. Ball State would go on a 10-1 run to break the game open. Leading 22-13, a spike from Grant, coupled with more errors from UNC-Asheville, gave Ball State the second set.

Ball State cruised to a 7-3 lead to open the third set, utilizing attacks from Mackenzie Kitchel, Kylee Baker, Spadafora and Mindy Marx. UNC-Asheville would tighten the score to 10-8, but Ball State would extend the lead to 16-12 before going on a 9-0 run, with Ball State winning the set and match off a service error from UNC-Asheville.

Ball State improved to 10-3 and will play again at noon Saturday against Southern Methodist.