OUR VIEW: SGA elections board needs to be transparent

This editorial reflects the views of the Daily News and not other organizations affiliated with bsudaily.com.

At issue: Cardinal United, senators falsely accused of cyber bullying

The news of transgressions of cyber bullying during the Student Government Association executive board elections is shocking enough, but what’s more disturbing is how the elections board decided to handle the situation. 

The latest in a string of controversies in this year’s SGA election involved an anonymous Twitter account, massive fines and a near-disqualification of the Cardinal United slate by the elections board. 

The board was quick to point the finger at Cardinal United and SGA senators Con Sullivan and Jason Pickell for creating a Twitter account that targeted and attacked other slates and senators. 

The board unanimously voted to fine Cardinal United and to ban Sullivan and Pickell from SGA, even though it wasn’t within its power to do so. 

Even though the ban was later lifted and now-former parliamentarian Chad Griewank admitted Wednesday to creating the account, that doesn’t mean all is forgotten. 

The elections board refuses to release what evidence it had to punish the slate and senators. Board chair Kevin Thurman said Wednesday night that the evidence is a moot point since Griewank came forward, and that the elections board apologizes for any damage that was caused to Cardinal United and its campaign.

“We hope there are little lingering effects,” he said. 

But Sullivan’s, Pickell’s and the members’ of Cardinal United names will forever be linked to this Twitter account, and it’s in large part because the elections board was too quick to act in its secret meetings about secret evidence. 

Other than a handful of people, no one knows if the initial sanctions were justified — even Cardinal United doesn’t know what evidence the board had against them. 

Thurman said the board made the right decision when it implemented the fines and bans Tuesday based on its evidence. But without the public knowing what really happened, how do we know it was justified? 

It’s time for the elections board to be transparent and tell students what happened. We’re supposed to be able to trust that the board will do its job and make sure SGA elections are fair, but our evidence is telling us the board may have been the one that tipped the scale. 

Public officials are servants, not the people’s masters. The elections board got the information it needed, so now it needs to cough up answers.

The board was quick to jump on Cardinal United for cyber bullying, but it doesn’t seem as quick to clear the air.

This whole debacle started with tweets harassing senators, but it looks like now the elections board is a bully, too. 

- Editorial Board