GYMNASTICS: Cardinals continue winning streak

Sophomore Samantha Santos performs on the uneven bars Jan. 18 in Irving Gym. Santos scored a 9.800 on beam this Friday when the Cardinals competed in a double header against Penn and Cententary College. DN FILE PHOTO EMMA FLYNN

Ball State gymnastics have won three straight events. Now the team looks to carry its momentum and energy into a critical stretch of the season.

Four consecutive events will pit the Cardinals against Mid-American Conference opponents. Eastern Michigan, who Ball State will see twice during that stretch, Western Michigan, Bowling Green and Kent State will round out conference play. 

Ball State is currently boasting a 2-0 record in the conference. With wins over Central Michigan and Northern Illinois in the books, the team is looking forward to the opportunities in front of them.  

“I feel really confident in my team, in their chemistry and their mindset,” coach Nadalie Walsh said. “I feel like we have a really good mindset going into the next couple weeks. They’ve been on a winning streak, and I feel like it’s given them good momentum.” 

Despite the win streak of late, the Cardinals have struggled on the beam. With team scores of 47.675 and 48.200 in their last two meets, it is an area they want improve. Sophomore Samantha Santos could provide a much needed lift to the team’s rotation. Santos posted a team-high score of 9.800 on the beam in the team’s most recent meet. 

“I’m really proud of her because she’s really come into her element,” Walsh said. “She’s always been a really good beam worker, but she’s just now become really solid and confident.”

The team is looking for a winning combination on the beam. The emergence of Santos could make her an intricate part in that process. 

Contrary to the beam, the team has thrived on the floor. Now, as they close in on the half-way point of the season, the Cardinals are taking extra steps to improve their routines. 

“We’ve added even more difficulty to some of our floor routines,” Walsh said. 

Freshman Denasiha Christian will be one of the players taking on a higher degree of difficulty. Walsh said that the scores won’t necessarily change, because the team already carries the required level of difficulty. These changes will however show judges what each girl is capable of. 

With Kentucky and Illinois, ranked No. 16 and No. 19 respectively, on the schedule, Ball State is eager to show what it is capable of doing.