BASEBALL: Ball State faces rematch at Purdue

Baker scheduled to make his fourth start of the season

Two weeks ago, Purdue showed Ball State just how explosive its offense is. The Boilermakers turned a one-run game into a blowout with a 12-run sixth inning as they cruised to a 15-2 victory at Ball Diamond on April 11.

After the game, outfielder Sean Godfrey called Purdue one of the best offensive teams Ball State had played this season.

"Up and down, I feel like they have a really good offensive lineup," he said. "They could hit it pretty well."

The Cardinals (11-26) will get another chance to try and control the No. 15 Boilermakers when they travel to West Lafayette for a 4 p.m. game Wednesday. The task will initially fall to right-hander Scott Baker, who did not pitch in the loss two weeks ago.

Baker will be making his fourth start of the season, all of which have come this month. While Ball State has won two of the three games Baker has started, he has not factored in any of the decisions. As a starter, he has a 6.75 ERA with nine strikeouts and 12 walks in 13 1/3 innings.

Not only is the Boilermakers' offense a difficult test for Baker and the rest of the Cardinals, they have one of the best teams in the nation, Purdue (32-6) has the best winning percentage in the country and is in the mix to host an NCAA Tournament regional this season.

The Cardinals come into Wednesday's game on something of a roll after winning its second series of the season this weekend. Ball State has won four of its last five games, including two against Mid-American Conference West leading Eastern Michigan.

Shortstop T.J. Weir said winning the weekend series gives the Cardinals momentum as they approach the final quarter of the season.

"Just winning a series regardless of who it's against is huge," Weir said. "It's just a lot of confidence for us to know we can compete against the best teams in the conference and come out and win."

Ball State clinched its series victory against Eastern Michigan with a 5-4 victory in 10 innings on a walk-off wild pitch Sunday. Coach Alex Marconi said the win, which was the Cardinals' eighth by one run, can create momentum for his team.

"We're playing good baseball," Marconi said. "The thing is waiting for some things to go our way and us creating some of those breaks. [Sunday] we did a little of both and then we're just trying to continue to build off that."