MEN'S VOLLEYBALL: MIVA Power Rankings - March 29

Midwestern Intercollegiate Volleyball Association Power Rankings

1. Lewis

Record: 19-5

Conference record: 5-2

National rank: 6

Lewis' only blemish this season came against Loyola on Tuesday, barely losing in five sets. Even then, it's picky criticism. Four of the Flyers' five losses have come in five sets, meaning they've hardly had a bad night to speak of since 2012 began. Thanks to sophomore setter BJ Boldog and attackers Jay Petty and Ian Karbiener, Lewis is a class above the rest of the MIVA on offense, ranking No. 5 nationally in attack percentage. Their defense is consistently good, too. Loyola's recent surge poses a threat, but Lewis is still only a few matches away from locking up the No. 1 seed in the MIVA Tournament.

2. Loyola

Record: 16-10

Conference record: 7-3

National rank: Unranked, 15 votes in latest poll

Perhaps my comments in the inaugural MIVA Power Rankings about Loyola underachieving struck a nerve. With six straight wins since then, including an upset over Lewis on Tuesday, Loyola is easily the hottest team in the conference. Outside attacker Joseph Smalzer has largely been the reason why, setting career-high hitting marks in each of the last four matches. Matt Mirick has started to improve as the team's setter, too. If the Ramblers keep it up, they'll not only win the No. 2 seed in the MIVA Tournament, but give Lewis the best challenge at the conference title as well.

3. Ohio State

Record: 14-8

Conference record: 4-3

National rank: 10

What in the world has happened to the Buckeyes? Losing to Ball State was acceptable, but losing to Quincy in their very next match is not. Worst of all, Ohio State's gigantic step backward in the last week will probably cost them seeding in the postseason. Then again, if the Buckeyes finished in the No. 2 spot, they would have to play Quincy again. Judging by their doubleheader with them last week, they might be the only team in the MIVA that doesn't want that.

4. Ball State

Record: 12-8

Conference record: 4-5

National rank: Unranked, four votes in latest poll

Quincy did Ball State no favors by beating Ohio State last week. Now anyone who didn't see the Cardinals topple the Buckeyes in a 3-2 upset doesn't know what to make of Ball State. But those who were able to watch the match really know what Ball State is capable of doing. With Dan Wichmann and Matt Sutherland in the lineup, this team proved when its offense is clicking and its backrow defense is consistent, it's tough for any team in the conference to play against them. The only problem is making that happen every match instead of just seeing it in short bursts. The fourth seed will likely go down to the wire between Ball State and Grand Canyon, so the Cardinals have to keep building on the Buckeyes win to earn it.

5. Grand Canyon

Record: 14-11

Conference record: 5-3

National rank: Unranked

Call me a believer in Grand Canyon. The league coaches certainly weren't at the beginning of the year, picking the Antelopes to finish last in the conference. But two wins over IPFW on the road has turned Grand Canyon from a checkmark victory to a team worth worrying about. Ball State and Grand Canyon are in deadlock for the fourth seed heading into the last few matches of the regular season, meaning they will most likely see each other in the first round of the tournament. The only question is whether it will be played in Indiana or Arizona.

6. IPFW

Record: 10-12

Conference record: 2-5

National rank: Unranked

It's strange to think this team was getting votes in the AVCA Top-15 Coaches Poll only a few weeks ago. Now IPFW has completely gone into a free fall, losing its last six matches, three to MIVA opponents. Things don't look good for them heading into the last month of the season. A home grudge match with Ball State on April 7 is probably its best chance left to prove the team deserves respect.

7. Quincy

Record: 17-9

Conference record: 1-7

National rank: Unranked

Up until is monumental upset over Ohio State last weekend, Quincy has been treated like a doormat by the rest of the MIVA. Now, I'm not sure what to think of the Hawks. Even though they'll likely end up with either the seventh seed or the sixth seed in the MIVA Tournament, they've already proven last year that they're capable of playing with some postseason magic. Ball State knows that personally. The Quincy bandwagon should stay pretty light until they pull off another big win, though.

For more coverage on men's volleyball, follow @andrewmishler on Twitter.