WOMEN'S VOLLEYBALL: Ball State's MAC tournament run ends with loss in semifinals

Central Michigan wins MAC Tournament Championship over Northern Illinois

GENEVA, OH. – In only a series of four points, Kara Bates epitomized the effort Ball State displayed in trying to defeat No. 1 seeded Northern Illinois in the semifinals of the Mid-American Conference Tournament.

After Northern Illinois had convincingly won the first game 25-17, the two teams were locked in a tie at 22 points late in the second game. If Northern Illinois managed to take a 2-0 lead in the match, it would likely cruise to an easy victory in game three.

Junior outside hitter Bates wouldn't allow it.

On the next point, she took a set from senior setter Brittany McGinnis on the left side of the net and slammed it into the back corner of her opponent's side of the court. Now with a 23-22 lead, Bates went on the defensive and stopped middle blocker Sarah Angelos' attack for a block, pushing the Cardinals within a point of taking the set.

After a Northern Illinois point, Bates finished the game with a hard shot the Northern Illinois backcourt, tying the match at 1-1.

It was a do-or-die attitude that the Cardinals displayed all afternoon. Unfortunately for them, Northern Illinois wouldn't lie down after its setback in game two. The Huskies went on to win the next two sets and the match, 3-1, ending Ball State's MAC Tournament run with an uncharacteristic defensive performance.

"Their defense was just so relentless," coach Steve Shondell said. "Finest match I've ever seen them play. They just refused to let the ball hit the floor, and it got frustrating after a while."

Bates, who finished with a team-high 17 kills and was named to the All-MAC Tournament Team, said Northern Illinois' defense proved it was more prepared team in the match.

"I definitely think Northern came out more ready to play than we did," she said. "[Northern Illinois libero Amber Walker] did a better job than she's done in the past."

Ball State's defeat came one day after it had toppled No. 5 Eastern Michigan in the quarterfinals 3-1 to earn its first postseason win with Shondell as head coach.

Senior middle blocker Kelsey Brandl was the difference in the win, providing a season-high 21 kills in the victory. But against Northern Illinois, Brandl's effectiveness was negated by Ball State's poor ball-control, limiting her opportunities on offense to just nine kills on 17 attempts.

Brandl's and Bates' play along with the entire team's performance in the quarterfinals gave Shondell reasons to be optimistic following the tournament.

"Kara had an excellent offensive tournament, and the entire team played well [against Eastern Michigan]," he said. "We had a lot of good performances in the tournament, especially Kara, who had two great matches."

More unfortunate for Ball State was No. 6 seeded Central Michigan's 3-2 upset over Northern Illinois in the MAC Tournament Championship match Sunday.

Both Northern Illinois and Ball State should fall in the RPI rankings because of Central Michigan's win, making Ball State's season-ending match with St. Louis at 7 p.m. on Saturday even more important. In order for the Cardinals to make a good enough case for an at-large bid in the NCAA Tournament, they'll have to end the season with a win and hope their entire body of work this year is impressive enough to earn a bid from the selection committee.

Until that decision is made, it's a process of waiting and hoping for Ball State.