GYMNASTICS: Ball State plays host to Eastern Michigan in regular-season finale

Five Cardinals seniors will have last home meet on Senior Day

The Ball State University gymnastics team comes in to its Senior Day still looking to pick up what thus far has been an elusive Mid-American Conference victory.

The Cardinals get their last chance today. Ball State will host Eastern Michigan University at 1 p.m. in Worthen Arena in both teams' regular-season finale.

Coach Nadalie Walsh said she is feeling confident about the meet.

"I feel like if we do what we've been doing, we should be fine," she said.

Ball State (5-10, 0-5 MAC) is trying to get some momentum going into the MAC Championships on Saturday.

To get ready for the matchup, the Cardinals took advantage of an opportunity they had not previously been given. The team practiced in Worthen Arena on Saturday. Walsh said she thought it helped her team to be better prepared and acclimated to the arena for the meet against the Eagles.

One key matchup will be in the all-around. Eastern Michigan freshman Kaylyn Millick and Ball State sophomore Brittney Emmons are currently ranked No. 7 and No. 8 in the all-around in the conference, respectively. This should be a close matchup, as they are currently separated by 0.02 points.

Eastern Michigan (7-8, 2-3 MAC) is looking to even its record for the regular season. However, the Eagles will have to overcome some road woes to do so. They are 1-4 in road meets this season.

Walsh said the last few weeks in practice have been spent working on specific talents and sticking landings.

"The results aren't immediate," she said. "We are improving the odds they'll be done at the right time in their routine, though."

Although records might not indicate it, the Cardinals come into this meet as the favorites. On paper, Ball State should have the advantage in every event.

"I just want the girls to keep moving forward," Walsh said. "I don't think we need to move down to Eastern's level."

Walsh said freshman Emily Wehrle should be back on the balance beam today. Wehrle missed the last two meets when she suffered an injury during the team's meet in Florida.

Other gymnasts, though not were specified, may be given the chance to rest from competition, Walsh said. She said even though they may not participate today, they are still working hard in practice and will be ready for the MAC Championships.

This will be the final home meet for five seniors. Bibiana Rodriguez, Megan Howard and Ashley Jacob are all scheduled to compete today. Brittney Bauer and Laura Shockey both suffered preseason injuries but will still be honored during the meet.

In action
Ball State vs. Eastern Michigan
1 p.m., Worthen Arena
The meet will be televised live on channel 57