Delaware Country football roundup: Yorktown downs Shelbyville, Muncie Central wins big

A Ball State football assistant holds a football during a game against Western Michigan at Scheumann Stadium Sept. 10. Ball State lost to Western Michigan 30-37. Amber Pietz, DN

The Yorktown Tigers (6-1, 3-1 HHC) are now winners in their last three games. First, they beat Delta High School (3-3, 1-3 HHC) then New Castle High School (2-4, 1-3 HHC) and this week it was the Shelbyville Golden Bears (1-5, 1-3 HHC). 

The Tigers received the opening kickoff. After moving down the field and recovering their own fumble, sophomore halfback Jalen Thomas found the endzone on a 30-yard touchdown run at the 8:38 mark. After a fumbled snap and plays with no yardage, the Bears were forced to punt.

A few plays later, junior quarterback Mason Moulton completed a 37-yard pass to sophomore wide receiver Conner Stevens. This set up a short touchdown run by Thomas at the 6:34 mark leaving the Tigers up 14-0

Later in the second quarter, the Bears were forced to punt again. The Tigers did not take long as a shovel pass from Moulton to senior wide receiver Kolton Nanko scored another touchdown with 8:15 left in the half and Yorktown up 21- 0. 

A theme of the game, the Tigers’ defense had no issues containing their opponent. A fumble recovery towards the end of the half set up a short touchdown run by senior tight end Jack Stinson at the 1:11 mark leaving Yorktown up 28-0 at halftime. 

“We wanted to get back to Yorktown football,” Yorktown head coach Mike Wilhelm said. “Yorktown football this year is playing great defense and flying around. We didn’t do that against New Castle, so to do it this game was critical to our season.”

During the third quarter, another fumble by the Bears set up a 25-yard touchdown pass from Moulton to senior wide receiver Blair Webster at 8:59 as the Tigers extended their lead to 35. 

Off a punt from Shelbyville, Moulton would find Nanko for a 25-yard touchdown – it would be the final score of the game.

Yorktown would win with a final score of 42-0. The defense stood strong all night Jalen Thomas remained key on offense with 144 yards and two touchdowns on 14 attempts. He credited the success to his teammates after the game.

“I really do believe it is my linemen and the playcalling,” Thomas said. “They open up the holes and I go through them. It makes it pretty easy to score.”

As a team, Yorktown had 156 rushing yards, 187 receiving yards and forced 2 turnovers. Quarterback Mason Moulton had 187 passing yards and three touchdown passes and wide receiver Kolton Nanko had 87 receiving yards and 2 touchdowns. 

In other scores around the county, Delta lost 17-12 to New Castle, Wes-Del lost 31-14 to Monroe Central and Muncie Central won 50-8 against Richmond. Leading the Bearcats over Richmond was Josiah Ullom with 114 rushing yards, 161 receiving yards, and 3 touchdowns.

Contact Zach Carter with comments at zachary.carter@bsu.edu or on Twitter @ZachCarter85.