We’ve all been there: you lay down to sleep after a long day, hoping to get some restful shuteye, but it just doesn’t come. Perhaps you’re dealing with anxiety that keeps your thoughts racing at night. Or maybe you’re struggling with chronic pain that tends to flare up just as you’re trying to wind down for the evening. You could even be able to fall asleep but tend to wake up in the middle of the night and find yourself unable to rest. Hours of late-night TikTok scrolling later, you get out of bed the next day feeling as lethargic as a sloth. In addition to mornings where not even coffee can get you on the right track, prolonged bouts of poor sleep can lead to health problems, as your immune system requires adequate rest to thrive.
If you’ve been struggling with getting the sleep you need, CBD edibles are an excellent supplement to add to your daily routine to help your body rest. But before we dive into all the incredible benefits, CBD has to offer…
What is CBD?
CBD, also known as cannabidiol, is a chemical compound produced by hemp plants. CBD can provide an overall relaxing sensation as it interacts with the body when ingested. While CBD comes from the same plant as THC, the psychoactive chemical in marijuana, CBD does not produce a psychoactive effect. This means you won’t get “high” when taking CBD edibles. Federal regulations require all CBD products to be screened to ensure that they contain no more than 0.3% of THC compounds.
How Does CBD Work?
CBD interacts with the body via the endocannabinoid system, a network of neural receptors present throughout the body. The endocannabinoid system receptors can be broken up into two categories:
● CB1 Receptors: CB1 receptors are primarily located in the brain and throughout the central nervous system. These receptors affect the function of the gastrointestinal system, memory, and gross motor skills.
● CB2 Receptors: CB2 receptors are primarily located within organs and tissue. These receptors target the functions of the immune system and can affect the control of pain and inflammation throughout the body.
When you take a CBD edible, these receptors react to the presence of CBD in the body and can relieve various mental and physical conditions that might be causing your body stress.
Benefits of CBD Edibles
As mentioned above, CBD can help reduce pain and inflammation caused by various external factors and physical ailments that may lead to poor sleep and fatigue. Some of these conditions include:
● Anxiety and Depression: When dealing with complicated feelings of anxiety and depression, it can be hard to put your mind at ease. CBD edibles can help relax your mind and lessen your mental stress so you can fall asleep.
● Chronic Muscle Pain: Chronic muscle pain can be especially difficult to deal with at bedtime. However, CBD edibles can help manage that pain by reducing inflammation in the muscles and joints. WIth that pain lessened, you’ll be more able to relax and easily fall asleep.
● Sooth Bedtime Tummy Troubles: If you suffer from gastrointestinal issues that keep you up at night, CBD edibles can help by reducing inflammation of the gut lining and aiding in healthy digestion.
CBD Edibles with Melatonin
Some CBD edibles are made with melatonin, a hormone naturally produced by the body that encourages sleep. When combined with CBD, melatonin helps you fall asleep and stay asleep throughout the night.
Proper CBD Edible Dosage
CBD edible dosages can vary, but a typical recommendation for a starting dosage for sleep is 30 milligrams daily. If you take one edible and find that you’re still struggling to get the rest you need, you can increase your dosage. As always, it’s essential to consult your doctor before starting any form of nutritional supplement to ensure that it’s safe for you to take along with the existing medications and supplements you’re on. Additionally, it’s always best to start with a small dose and increase your intake.
CBD for Daytime Use
While it’s an incredibly beneficial supplement to take for sleep, CBD edibles are also made for daytime use. These edibles can help reduce the mental and physical stress you may experience during the week.
Struggling with a lack of sleep is never fun to deal with. You wake up lethargic, and feel too groggy to get through the day. Whether you’re struggling with mental stress or physical pain that keeps you up at night, CBD edibles can help by supporting the reduction of stress and inflammation in the body. Some CBD edibles even include melatonin for an added boost of sleep support. How do you think CBD edibles could help to improve your sleep routine?