Navigating Muncie and Ball State: No car? No problem!

<p>Muncie buses and Ball State shuttles make stops at Walmart, Scheumann Stadium, the L.A. Pittenger Student Center and other local landmarks. <strong>Kaiti Sullivan, DN File</strong></p>

Muncie buses and Ball State shuttles make stops at Walmart, Scheumann Stadium, the L.A. Pittenger Student Center and other local landmarks. Kaiti Sullivan, DN File

BSU Shuttle 

Download the TransLoc Rider app to track Ball State shuttles in real-time. This shuttle doesn’t leave campus and you’ll find that it’s a great way to get from the dorms to classes. More information on routes online.

Muncie Indiana Transit System (MITS)

Four MITS routes run through campus. The MITS Bus is free for students with a Ball State ID. However, the buses do not allow food and drinks, including cups with a lid. MITS routes and schedules are built into Google Maps. You can get on the bus at any intersection along the route if the intersection does not have a right-turn-only lane. The buses do not run on Sundays and has a limited schedule on Saturdays. You can track schedules in real-time with the MITS Bus app.

Charlie’s Charter

Don’t go walking around late at night by yourself, especially if it’s dark and you need a safe way to get home. Charlie’s Charter is a shuttle service that runs after dark to pick up and drop off students on university-owned property. It is useful during the hours after Ball State shuttles stop their routes. To get a shuttle ride, call 765-285-5005 and wait for a van driver. Charlie’s Charter runs from the hours of 6 p.m. to 1:30 a.m. Sunday through Thursday. 

Biking

Bikes can be parked at any bike rack for free on campus. In addition, you may register a bike with the University Police Department (UPD), making it easier for police to locate the bike if it is stolen. To prevent theft, UPD recommends using quality-style locks, like a U-lock. Students can also rent a bike locker at various locations on campus. This includes the residence halls and Anthony Apartments. It only costs $50 for the academic year if the bike locker contract is submitted to the Housing and Residence Life office before the first day of classes.

Walking

When the weather is nice out and you aren’t in a rush, you can make it around the city with just your two feet! Minnetrista, a big park and shop, is just a 10-minute stroll down Neely. And downtown, with tons of shops and restaurants, is just 1.5 miles away from campus. Walking might not be the most convenient solution to getting off campus, but it is still possible to see parts of the city without a car.