Best of 2021 Reader’s Choice Award Winners Are In!

Your Votes are Tallied and Your Voice Has Been Heard!

Best of 2021 Reader’s Choice Award Winners

Thank you to everyone who voted in our Readers Choice contest, Best of 2021! We heard your favorites, loud and clear, and we are excited to share who our winners are. 

If your business has won, you will receive EXTREME bragging rights, an official winner's certificate, and a window cling so customers know when entering your establishment that you are the Best of 2021.

Are you interested in listing your business next year? Email mckinleyave@bsu.edu for more information on how you can be involved. 

The Best of 2021 winners are as follows: 

Food & Drink

Best Mexican Restaurant: Puerto Vallarta

Best Asian Cuisine: Dumpling House & Asian Market

Best Breakfast: Sunshine Cafe

Best Dessert: Lowery’s Homemade Candies

Best Ice Cream/Frozen Treats: The Frozen Boulder

Best Sweet Shop/Candy: Lowery’s Homemade Candies

Best Pizza: Greeks Pizzeria

Best Liquor Store: Muncie Liquors

Best Coffee: The Caffeinery 

Best Restaurant: Amazing Joes

Best Family/Casual Dining: Roots Burger Bar

Best Fine Dining: Vera Mae’s Bistro

Best Late Night Eats: Greeks Pizzeria

Best Atmosphere: The Cup

Best Brewery: Elm Street Brewery

Best Bar/Pub: Brother’s Bar & Grill

Best New Restaurant: Yats

Best Bakery: Concannon’s

Best Burger: Roots Burger Bar

Best Takeout: Greek’s Pizzeria

Best Delivery: Greek’s Pizzeria

Shopping, Businesses, and Professional Services

Shopping

Best Grocery Store: Payless

Best Bookstore: TIS

Best Craft/Art Store: Art Mart

Best Consignment/Thrift Store: Goodwill

Best Furniture Store: Wall’s Furniture

Best Gaming Store: GameStop

Health & Beauty

Best Gym/Wellness Center: Planet Fitness

Best Vision Center: Family Vision Care

Best Dental Pratice: University Avenue Dental

Best Dermatology/Skincare Center: University Dermatology Center

Best Health Care/Medical Practice: University Dermatology Center

Best Hair Salon: Hot Heads

Best Tanning Salon: Island Tan

Best Nail Salon: Super Nails

Automotive & Transportation

Best Transportation Service: Muncie Indiana Transit System

Best Auto Repair Service: Greg Hubler Automotive

Best Auto Dealership: Greg Hubler Automotive

Professional Services

Best Tattoo Parlor: Lucky Rabbit

Best Financial Planning Company: Edward Jones

Best Attorney: Frank Brinkman

Best Credit Union/Bank: Prime Trust

Best Florist: Normandy Flowers

Local Stores & Businesses

Best Community Partner/Organization: Greg Hubler Automotive

Best Place to Work: The Lucky Rabbit

Best Customer Service: Art Mart

Best New Business: Greg Hubler Automotive 

Best Family Owned: Lowery’s Homemade Candies

Best Community service: University Dermatology Center

Housing and Living

Apartment & Property Rentals

Best Apartment Complex: Village Promenade

Best Property Management Group: Kramer Real Estate Group

Best Value: Village Promenade

Best Landlord: Village Promenade

Best Location: Village Promenade

Best Customer Service: The Haven

Real Estate & Housing

Best Real Estate Company: Remax Real Estate

Best Amenities: Village Promenade

Best Realtor: Kramer Real Estate Group

Home Services

Best Garden Center: Wasson’s Nursery & Garden Center

Best Landscaping: Wassons Nursery & Garden Center

Best Heating & Cooling Company: Dial One Hour Heating and Cooling

Best Plumbing Company: Tomlinson Plumbing

Best Roofing Company: Sheriff-Goslin Roofing 

Best Builder/Home Remodeling Company: Great Kitchen and Baths

Arts, Entertainment & Leisure

Best Golf Course: Boulder Falls Minigolf and BatZone

Best Local Festival/Events: Muncie Artwalk

Best Local Music Venue: Be Here Now

Best Hidden Gem: Minnetrista Cultural Center

Best Local Attraction: Minnetrista Cultural Center

Best Event Center/Venue: Minnetrista Cultural Center

Best Museum/Gallery: Minnetrista Cultural Center

Best Hotel: Courtyard by Marriott

Ball State

Best Fraternity: SAE

Best Sorority: Alpha Chi Omega

Best Greek Organization: Alpha Chi Omega

Best Student Organization/Club: BSU Dance Marathon

Best Residence Hall: Kinghorn

Best Annual Campus Event: Homecoming

Best Place to Eat on Campus: Woodworth Commons

Thank you to everyone who participated and voted in the Best of 2021!

History of Best of 2021

In 2019 and years prior, the Ball State Daily hosted “Best of Ball State,” which primarily focused on Ball State-specific categories and surrounding businesses; additionally, it was only promoted to readers and followers of Ball State Daily. 

But, with a new year and a new vision in 2020, we expanded and introduced Best of 2020 Reader’s Choice Awards for Ball State, Muncie and Delaware County.

This year, we are continuing with the Best of 2021. We love our community, both on campus and beyond - so we welcomed all of Muncie, Delaware County, and the Ball State Community businesses to participate in our contest. 

FAQs

How it Works

Starting in January of each year, our team promotes the contest to local businesses. Businesses can purchase advertising packages or single listings. What does that mean? Businesses can pay to be listed as a ‘choice’ when readers vote. However, readers have the option of writing in any business, group of service of their choice. Then, in March voting opens to our readers. Community members vote in a survey hosted by BallStateDaily.com for their choice in a variety of categories - yes, it’s that simple. Our voting period this year will last from April 12-25.

Following the voting period, winners will be announced via social media, BallStateDaily.com, and The Daily News newspaper right here at BSU. Custom plaques will also be awarded to the winners and hopefully mounted in storefronts for coveted bragging rights, of course. 

How much do listings cost?

One single listing is just $50. We also have frequency discounts and premium packages available to increase your exposure and reach a larger audience to increase your chances of winning the popular vote!

You can contact a sales representative directly at 765.285.8256 to speak about what options work best for your budget. 

Can our business compete in more than one category?

Of course! We understand that some businesses are more complex and offer many services. Reference the sidebar for all categories included in Best of 2021. 

Can I suggest a new category?

Yes! We are always open to hearing any suggestions that might improve our contest in the future. If you wish to participate and don’t see a category that fits you, feel free to reach out and we’d be happy to assist you from there. 

Do I have to live in the area to vote? 

Absolutely not, while the contest is aimed at community members voting for their community’s best, we understand that not everyone is located here in the area. Often, Ball State alumni get nostalgic and like to vote for their favorites from their college careers. Every vote counts! 

Additionally, the survey is posted online, making it accessible for those on mobile or desktop - all you need is a valid email address. 

Do I have to vote for all categories?

No. We know some categories don’t apply to all voters. We’ve tried to arrange the survey so the easiest categories are up first. However, in an effort to prevent ballot stuffing, we will only count ballots that have voted for at least 50% of the categories. This is a Reader’s Choice Awards contest, so while far from scientific, we do want it to be as fair as possible!

For each category, users will be able to cast their vote by selecting one of the listed businesses that paid to be listed or by writing in their choice for the category. Participants may also, opt out of voting for some sub-categories that they do not have a preference for by selecting “no preference”.

We won. Now what?

Businesses who receive the most valid votes in each category will be named Best of 2021. Winners will be announced on April 27, 2021 in The Daily News and on Ball State Daily social media. Winners will receive a Best of 2021 plaque and will be provided the Best of 2021 logo and are approved to use the logo in any advertising or promotion of their business. After the public announcement, winners will be contacted directly by their sales representative to make arrangements to receive their plaque and the Best of 2021 logo. 

Can voters win, too?

In conjunction with the Best of 2021 voting, participants that complete 50% or more of the survey will be entered into our Best of 2021 Voter’s contest. There will be a total of two (2) winners, one (1) Ball State-affiliated winner and one (1) community member winner. 

Participants will receive one (1) entry into the contest from completing at least 50% of the Reader’s Choice Awards categories.

Participants can access the survey on the Best of 2021 page on BallStateDaily.com or through a QR code on Best of 2021 promotional materials. 

The contest is open to all readers. The odds of winning depends on the total number of eligible votes submitted. The winners will be randomly selected on April 27 and will receive an email from mckinleyave@bsu.edu by the end of the day. The winners must email a response with an intent to pick up their prize by 5 p.m. on April 28. The winners must pick up their prize by 5 p.m. on April 30. 

Employees of Ball State Daily, McKinley Avenue or any Unified Media group are not eligible to win. The contest is presented by The McKinley Avenue Agency, College of Communication, Information, and Media, Ball State University, 2000 W. University Avenue, Muncie, Indiana 47306.

Employees of Ball State Daily, McKinley Avenue or any Unified Media group are not eligible to win. The contest is presented by The McKinley Avenue Agency, College of Communication, Information, and Media, Ball State University, 2000 W. University Avenue, Muncie, Indiana 47306. The grand prize, a BSU prize basket, $50 Root’s gift card, and $15 HotBox certification, is worth $215. Second place winner will win a $50 Root’s gift card and $15 HotBox certificate, with a total worth of $65. Ten runner-ups will receive a $15 HotBox certification, worth $15 each, for a $150 total worth. The total worth of all prizes is $430.
There will be one (1) grand prize winner that will receive: 2 BSU logo decals ($3.98), Frosty Fleece BSU Blanket (31.98), Charlie Cardinal Plush Mascot ($9.99), Reverse Weave BSU Crew (47.98), Red BSU Water bottle-Frost ($15.98), 11oz BSU Mug ($7.98), Roots Gift Cards ($50.00), HotBox Certificate ($15.00) making the total value of the grand prize $182.89. There will be one (1) second place winner who will receive a Root’s Gift card ($50.00), and a HotBox certificate ($15.00). Ten (10) runner-up winners will receive a HotBox certificate ($15.00).