Ball State names new Dean of College of Health

<p><strong>Ball State Press Center, Photo Courtesy</strong></p>

Ball State Press Center, Photo Courtesy

Scott Edward Rutledge will be the new Dean of the College of Health effective July 1, 2021, which Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs Susana Rivera-Mills announced in a press release.

Rutledge served as Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs in the College of Public Health at Temple University, where he has worked since 2005, and has experience in the fields of social work and higher education.

Rutledge recieved a PhD in social welfare from the University of Washington, a master's in social work from the University of Iowa and a bachelor's degree in Communications from Marycrest College.

Rutledge has researched issues of AIDS stigma in the U.S. and Caribbean, HIV prevention interventions and exploring health disparities among racial and sexual minorities.

“Ball State’s innovative approach to education and state of the art, new Health Professions Building make it a premier school for students pursuing a career in healthcare,” Rutledge said in the press release. “I’m honored to join a very talented group of educators who are dedicated to serving those students, using excellence, integrity, social responsibility, respect, gratitude, innovation and courage as a guiding light in the classroom."

Rivera-Mills thanked Jayanthi Kandiah for serving as the interim dean of the College of Health and said she was excited to welcome Rutledge to Ball State.

“President Mearns and I believe Dr. Rutledge has the opportunity to make a lasting impact on the region and state as we work to meet the needs of the healthcare community and educate the next generation of healthcare leaders," Rivera-Mills said.