And the winner's are...
Ball State and Muncie voted for their favorites in the Best of 2020.
Thank you to everyone who voted in this year's Best of 2020: Reader's Choice Awards, sponsored by The Haven! We heard your favorites, loud and clear, and without further ado, here they are: .
Food & Drink
• Best Mexican Restaurant: Puerto Vallarta
• Best Asian Cuisine: Dumpling House & Asian Market
• Best Breakfast: Sunshine Cafe
• Best Dessert: Concannon’s
• Best Ice Cream/Frozen Treats: Barking Cow
• Best Sweet Shop/Candy: Lowery’s Candies
• Best Pizza: Greek's Pizzeria
• Best Liquor Store: Friendly Package Liquors
• Best Coffee: The Caffeinery
• Best Restaurant: Puerto Vallarta
• Best Family/Casual Dining: Roots Burger Bar
• Best Fine Dining: Vera Mae’s Bistro
• Best Late Night Eats: Greek's Pizzeria
• Best Atmosphere: Greek’s Pizzeria
• Best Brewery: Elm Street Brewery
• Best Bar/Pub: Brother’s Bar & Grill
• Best New Restaurant: Roots Burger Bar
• Best Bakery: Concannon’s
• Best Burger: Roots Burger Bar
• Best Grocery Store: Payless
• Best Bookstore: Books-A-Million
• Best Craft/Art Store: Art Mart
• Best Consignment/Thrift Store: Goodwill
• Best Furniture Store: Gill Brothers Furniture
• Best Gaming Store: Fud’s Video Games
Real Estate, Housing & Rentals
• Best Apartment Complex: Village Promenade
• Best Property Management Group: Absolute Property Management
• Best Value: The Haven
• Best Landlord: Village Promenade
• Best Location: Village Promenade
• Best Customer Service: Village Promenade
• Best Real Estate Company: Remax Real Estate
• Best Amenities: Village Promenade
• Best Realtor: Kramer Real Estate
• Best Senior Living Community: Westminster Village
Arts, Entertainment & Leisure
• Best Golf Course: Crestview
• Best Local Festival/Event: Old Washington Street Festival
• Best Local Music Venue: Be Here Now
• Best Hidden Gem: Minnetrista Cultural Center
• Best Local Attraction: Minnetrista Cultural Center
• Best Event Center/Venue: Minnetrista Cultural Center
• Best Museum/Gallery: Minnetrista Cultural Center
• Best Hotel: Courtyard by Marriott
• Best Greek Organization: Alpha Omicron Pi
• Best Student Organization/Club: Dance Marathon
• Best Residence Hall: DeHority
• Best Annual Campus Event: Homecoming
• Best Place to Eat on Campus: Woodworth Commons
Business & Customer Service
• Best Community Partner/Organization: Westminster Village
• Best Place to Work: Westminster Village
• Best Customer Service: Puerto Vallarta
• Best New Business: Roots Burger Bar
Health & Beauty
• Best Gym/Wellness Center: YMCA
• Best Vision Center: Family Vision Care
• Best Dental Practice: Rector Family Dental and Orthodontics
• Best Dermatology/Skincare Center: Lifetime Skin Care Centers
• Best Health Care/Medical Practice: Westminster Village
• Best Hair Salon: Hot Heads
• Best Tanning Salon: Island Tan
• Best Nail Salon: Super Nails
Home & Garden
• Best Garden Center: Normandy Flower Shop
• Best Landscaping: Wasson's Nursery & Garden Center
• Best Heating & Cooling Company: Conatser Heating and Cooling
• Best Plumbing Company, TIE: David Jackson Plumbing / Enterprise Plumbing
• Best Roofing Company, TIE: Sheriff-Goslin Roofing / Clemens Home Solutions
• Best Builder/Home Remodeling Company: Great Kitchens and Baths
Automotive & Transportation Services
• Best Transportation Service: MITS
• Best Auto Repair Service: Cooper Tire
• Best Auto Dealership: Stoops Automotive Group
• Best Tattoo Parlor: Lucky Rabbit
• Best Financial Planning Company: Edward Jones
• Best Commercial Cleaning Company: Seeclear Cleaning Service
• Best Law Firm: Defur Voran
• Best Attorney: Frank Brinkman
• Best Credit Union/Bank: Ball State Federal Credit Union
Thank you to everyone who participated and voted in the Best of 2020!
Are you interested in listing your business next year? Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on how you can be involved.
History of Best of 2020
In 2019 and years prior, the Ball State Daily hosted “Best of Ball State,” which primarily focused on only Ball State-specific categories and surrounding businesses; additionally, it was only promoted to readers and followers of Ball State Daily.
But, with a new year and a new vision in 2020, we expanded and introduced Best of 2020 Reader’s Choice Awards for Ball State, Muncie and Delaware County, sponsored by The Haven.
We love our community, both on campus and beyond - so we welcomed all of Muncie, Delaware County, and the Ball State Community businesses to participate in our contest. The voting period was March 16-27, 2020.
How it Works
Starting in January of each year, our team promotes the contest to local businesses. Businesses can purchase advertising packages or single listings. What does that mean? Businesses can pay to be listed as a ‘choice’ when readers vote. However, readers have the option of writing in any business, group of service of their choice. Then, in March voting opens to our readers. Community members vote in a survey hosted by BallStateDaily.com for their choice in a variety of categories - yes, it’s that simple. Our voting period this year will last from March 16-27.
Following the voting period, winners will be announced via social media, BallStateDaily.com, and The Daily News newspaper right here at BSU. Custom plaques will also be awarded to the winners and hopefully mounted in storefronts for coveted bragging rights, of course.
How much do listings cost?
One single listing is just $50. We also have frequency discounts and premium packages available to increase your exposure and reach a larger audience to increase your chances of winning the popular vote!
You can contact a sales representative directly at 765.285.8256 to speak about what options work best for your budget.
Can our business compete in more than one category?
Of course! We understand that some businesses are more complex and offer many services. Reference the sidebar for all categories included in Best of 2020.
Can I suggest a new category?
Yes! We are always open to hearing any suggestions that might improve our contest in the future. If you wish to participate and don’t see a category that fits you, feel free to reach out and we’d be happy to assist you from there.
Do I have to live in the area to vote?
Absolutely not, while the contest is aimed at community members voting for their community’s best, we understand that not everyone is located here in the area. Often, Ball State alumni get nostalgic and like to vote for their favorites from their college careers. Every vote counts!
Additionally, the survey is posted online, making it accessible for those on mobile or desktop - all you need is a valid email address.
Do I have to vote for all categories?
No. We know some categories don't apply to all voters. We've tried to arrange the survey so the easiest categories are up first. However, in an effort to prevent ballot stuffing, we will only count ballots that have voted for at least 50% of the categories. This is a Reader's Choice Awards contest, so while far from scientific, we do want it to be as fair as possible!
For each category, users will be able to cast their vote by selecting one of the listed businesses that paid to be listed or by writing in their choice for the category. Participants may also, opt out of voting for some sub-categories that they do not have a preference for by selecting “no preference”.
We won. Now what?
Businesses who receive the most valid votes in each category will be named Best of 2020. Winners will be announced on April 2, 2020 in The Daily News and on Ball State Daily social media. Winners will receive a Best of 2020 plaque and will be provided the Best of 2020 logo and are approved to use the logo in any advertising or promotion of their business. After the public announcement, winners will be contacted directly by their sales representative to make arrangements to receive their plaque and the Best of 2020 logo.
Can voters win, too?
In conjunction with the Best of 2020 voting, participants that complete 50% or more of the survey will be entered into our Best of 2020 Voter's contest. There will be a total of two (2) winners, one (1) Ball State-affiliated winner and one (1) community member winner.
Participants will receive one (1) entry into the contest from completing at least 50% of the Reader's Choice Awards categories.
Participants can access the survey on the Best of 2020 page on the BallStateDaily.com, through their Ball State email, an iPad at Best of 2020 event or through a QR code on Best of 2020 promotional materials.
The contest is open to all readers. The odds of winning depends on the total number of eligible votes submitted. The winners will be randomly selected on April 2 and will receive an email from email@example.com by 3 pm. The winners must respond by 3 pm on April 6 and indicate their intent to claim the prize. McKinley Avenue Agency can either deliver or mail winners their prizes after they have been claimed.
Employees of Ball State Daily, McKinley Avenue or any Unified Media group are not eligible to win. The contest is presented by The McKinley Avenue Agency, College of Communication, Information, and Media, Ball State University, 2000 W. University Avenue, Muncie, Indiana 47306.